1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1988 Chevy Blazer needs plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by madmaxalaska, Jan 28, 2012.

1. madmaxalaska

madmaxalaska Junior Member

What brand and size do you recommend for my 1988 Chevy Full size Blazer. Want side to side, up and down full controls from cab.

2. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

What brand do you like? What dealer has the best service in your area. They all have the controls in the cab. Also what is your
    Budget. Do you want new or used? This is like asking. What truck is better. I have snoway. Some guys like boss. Fisher. Snowdog. Western. Myers. And a few others. Go with what is best for you.

I love my Z

3. madmaxalaska

I have never owned one, so don't have a favorite and I see all the brands mentioned in my area, which is why I am having a hard time deciding. New is fine, and no budget. I want something that is a pleasure to use and reliable. Do you like the V shaped ones? I have been doing all my plowing with my 1958 tractor and it's time for a change!

4. nick4634

nick4634 Member

I personally wouldn't go any bigger than an 8' straight blade. Thats what I had on my k5, and in any snow over 6" I would just lose traction

5. blazer2plower

So you are just doing your drive. Helping out the neighbors when it really snow's. V blades are nice. I would go with what dealer has
    The best service. And you don't have to drive an hour to get parts snoway has down pressure 250# it works great for back dragging
    Do some research on what will fit your year of truck. And go from there. Sorry I can't help you out more.

I love my Z

6. madmaxalaska

Thanks! Was looking at a Hiniker 7 foot blade 449 lbs. I live in the toolies and have to drive an hour to the grocery store so finding the best service might not mean much to me. Hoping to learn which brands have the least problems.

7. blazer2plower

I don't know much about Hiniker plows. I don't see a lot of them in fort Wayne. And as wight goes my snoway is 445# and its 14 years
    Old. Its like any things if you take care of it. It will take care of you. I would get to know fluid film. It the best thing since sliced bread.
    I put it on all most every thing.

8. madmaxalaska

Tell me about Fluid Film......never heard of it and I like sliced bread!

9. blazer2plower

They are a sponsor on here. The name of the company is eureka. It dose lots of things. Go to there sponsor site and read all the good
    Things about there product.

10. tuna

tuna Senior Member

I have owned a few old blazers with plows.7.5 foot is perfect size,I`ve allways had Fishers but any brand will do.BTW Blazers plow like tanks because of the weight distribution as opposed to a pick up which is light in the rear.The short wheelbase make them great for driveways.

11. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Like tuna said, Blazers plow like tanks. My first plow truck was a 1979 K5. I would put a 8 foot Western, Fisher or Boss. The truck can handle it with no problem with the leaf springs up front. i would not go any smaller than a 7 1/2 footer. Good luck.

12. Chris92789

Chris92789 Junior Member

I have a 92 full size blazer. I put a western 7.5 ft on it. I would not go any bigger then that! If anything you would prob. be better with a 7ft plow. The weight is not bad on the front of the truck!

13. madmaxalaska

Thanks for your input, I sure appreciate it!

14. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Western is a durable and affordable brand, mabye a 7'6" to start.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

8 foot vee plow would be fantastic.

16. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

isnt an 8ft v plow alot for a small wheelbase halfton chassis? 7'6" straight sounds ideal

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Not for a Chevy...

18. randomb0b123

from america

wasnt going for brand offense, i drive a chevy everyday. 280k miles and going strong. just seems like alot of weight for a k5

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Same frame/axle as a K20

20. randomb0b123

from america

what about front axle? its same as a 3/4 ton?