1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1988 Chevy 1/2 ton needs tires.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Dragon1026, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Dragon1026

Dragon1026 Junior Member

Hello Everyone,
    I hope this is the proper place for this post. I have a 1988 chevy 1/2 ton with a 8 foot plow. My truck is mostly used for plowing and general hauling. I currently am running Goodyear wrangler GSA in 245/75/16E which have been a great tire but need to be replaced. This tire is no longer available in this size. Traction is the most important thing to me which leads me to my question. What do you guys recommend for a tire? I was trying to stay away from a $1000 tire bill for a 20 year old beater truck. Any suggestion from the pros would be very appreciated.
    Thank you,
  2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Though I am not a pro, I use Cooper Discoverer LT's with the load range D. They are not overly loud on the highway, ad seem to bite down when plowing. Plus with the 8ply, tey seem to take away that floaty feeling you get with 6 ply. I currently have about 6 months on this set, and they are wearing great. Last set took me though 2 years. Also, I havent had any problems with them "cupping" either. I ran a set of Kelly ridge runners and they were crap. Lasted MAYBE a year and a half, and were always cupping no matter what I did.
  3. TTBoy77

TTBoy77 Member

Try pricing either BFG AT's or Dunlop radial rover AT's. If you want to run your Goodyear's, just go up a size or two.
  4. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

www.nebraskatire.com I run 33" Mud Kings on the plow truck. Nebraska tires has very good deals. Check their "price fighter" tires. They're blems, but they've worked great for me over the years.
  5. elshauno

elshauno Member

I run Kumho KL-78 load range e but I'm sure the d's are just about as nice They are a great inexpensive tire Aggressive Tread Handle snow and off road conditions very well. Check them out at tirerack.com.
  6. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I agree. They are a higher quality, good all around tire that is easy on the wallet.
  7. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

I am putting LT 235/85R16 General Grabber AT 2's on my 97 GMC 2500. I little taller and narrower than the 245/75R16. They are studdable, which is nice. The tread pattern is very similar to BFG ATs, but about $50 cheaper per tire. I paid less than $700 all in. Studded, mounted, balanced.