1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1988 Chevrolet R-30 not starting

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by The Good Earth, Feb 13, 2005.

1. The Good Earth

The Good Earth Junior Member

I started getting out my work trucks and getting them ready for spring. My '88 R-30 ran fine when I started it. Drove it for a couple of days with no problem except no heat. I figure it is the heater core, no big deal.

I let it sit for a week until I could get around to fixing the core. When I went to move it it had a hard time starting. When it did start it belched out black smoke from the exhaust for about 20 seconds. Then the exhaust turned white and had a very rich smell to it. I let it idle for a while to see if it cleared up. The white exhaust continued and in about 1 hour it burned a 1/4 tank of fuel. I probably shouldn't have let it idle that long but I wanted to see if the check engine light would come on. I shut it off and decided to let it sit while I tried to figure out a cure by looking at posts on here.

After letting it sit it won't start now. I can hear the fuel pump kick on when the ignition is turned on, I have spark, and I have no check engine light on. I unhooked the Map sensor to see if it would throw a code and it did. Threw a code 33. The thing is when I am trying to start it the engine accelerates if I press the gas pedal like it is trying to get fuel but just not quite enough. When I turn the key back from start it gasps a few times and shuts off.

Any idea's? I am barely literate, mechanically speaking, so I am lost in the dark. Any help will be greatly appreciated.