1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1988 7.3 overheating

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by wilson7397, Dec 15, 2013.

1. wilson7397

wilson7397 Junior Member

I have an 88 f350 4wd dually dump , 7.3 banks turbo 5 speed running a 8.5 western. It never had an tempeture problem in summer loaded. I have no problems while plowing, but running down the road 50+ it begins to overheat on hills, I removed the grill and a/c condenser. the helped a little bit but im still looking for a a better alternitive. ive been trying to find a cooler thermostat or maybe an aluminum radiator out of a powerstroke. thanks

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Fan Clutch - Put on a heavy duty one. Most likely it is bad. There seem to be allot of this going on lately.

3. wilson7397

wilson7397 Junior Member

Do you know who makes a heavier duty one?

4. maxwellp

5. maxwellp

You have to buy the expensive one that is a thermal fan clutch. The cheap non-thermal will not do you any good.

Thermal fan clutches engage the fan based on a bi-metal thermostatic coil, which senses the underhood temperature. Non-thermal fan clutches engage the fan based on the shaft speed of the water pump.

6. wilson7397

wilson7397 Junior Member

i have a fan clutch for a 1994 factory turbo IDI, one for a 96 powerstroke and one from a 99 powerstroke,
    im going to start with the 94, according to the specs its suppose to provide more cooling. not to sound like a cheap ass but i hate to spend $100+ on one if i have some laying around.

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

when transporting, drive with the plow a few inches off the road. when you drive with it lifted all the way up you block air flow to the radiator.

8. myzx6

myzx6 Member

Also I know my fisher blade has a label saying max speed nit to exceed 45mph, just saying

9. wilson7397

wilson7397 Junior Member

i run it so low that it scrapes when i hit bumps

10. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

ok then your fan clutch is bad.