1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1987 whelen mini edge

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by abbottfarm, Dec 31, 2012.

1. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

I dug out a old whelen mini edge I've had for years. Came on a trailer truck I bought, got taken off the truck because I needed beacons on the mirrors to have 360 lighting with trailer on. Anyways, the lenses are broken out of it and the wiring harness is missing..It was hard wired. Where is the best resource for parts for these old bars like new lenses and end caps,gaskets spacers? Or any information on wiring and such? I'd like to turn it into a magnet mount bar and have it to run on the wife's pickup for when it's roadside. I own a trucking company, so from time to time her truck get used as a service truck. Thanks for any info in advance...

edit: The reason I say 1987 is because that is the year on the paper tag I found inside the bar.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Might be cheaper to get a new dual rotator or another new magnet mount bar these days.

3. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the reply, but not going to happen. Not a fan of rotating lights...And if I put $100 dollars into this bar, I'll have a far superior light then a $100 rotor.
    Obviously by only putting $100 into it, I'll be buying used lenses but as long as there in good shape I could care less..I found a guy on craigs list here in Maine who has a bunch of lenses for fairly cheap money. Just found the add this morning.

4. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

contact a company on the internet called ranger services .. type it in search engine ... hes down in houston, tx he had reasonable prices ...

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Sent you a pm

6. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Im not a fan of the rotating ones either Thumbs Up didnt know if there was a budget, love to see the bar fully fixed up!

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

8. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

Lens kit will be 150.00, magnets are 25.00 each and a real factory harness for the magnet mount version will be 35.00 with on/off plug. That will only run the 4 corners. It will not give you any TD or Alley lights if you have them. Those must be hardwired.

9. Strobesnmore

Just keep in mind those power supplies are almost 400.00 to replace.

10. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

It's starting to sound like it's going to be more cost effective to put a fork in that bad boy. With many older lights, that's exactly the best thing to do.

11. THEGOLDPRO

12. THEGOLDPRO

The lens kit is $120 shipped. For NEW ones
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lens-Ki...007?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a632ff5f

The magnets are $40 bucks for 4 of them, For NEW ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140-POUND-M..._Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item359e860d6c

This is if he is buying new parts, you can find used good condition parts/lenses/wiring/lights for a fraction of the cost by going here and asking around.
    http://elightbars.org/forum.php

13. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

Why, for $100-150 bucks the bar will look and work just like new. $35 bucks for a new harness, 40 bucks for magnets, $75-80 for lenses. If worse came to worse and the power supply did stop working, and I could not find one reasonable I could always buy some LED's and throw in the bar to replace the strobes.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  14. THEGOLDPRO

40 bucks is the high side for new ones from whelen,

here are 4 magnets for like $12 bucks.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-SET-50-2-...748?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb61fc38c

15. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I really want to see the rebuild of these.

16. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

Well, You'll see at least one rebuilt...because I am going to start ordering parts and pieces next week.

17. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

What is the configuration of the mini bar? I have a box full of parts, I bought three full size bars to make the one I wanted. If I have anything you need lemme know! :mechanic:

18. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

Its just a standard 28 inch IIRC bar with 4 strobes.

19. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I am not above (or was it below?) being wrong. In fact I think in happened, once, many years ago, to a friend ...

Truth be told, I hope it all works out for you!

20. Strobesnmore

Ill just say this, good luck with eBay fines and as I tell many customers with older strobe bars they are money pits and I have many customers who initially disagreed with this but became believers very quickly.