1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1987 Tbi

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by pmed79, Oct 14, 2003.

1. pmed79

pmed79 Junior Member

I have a 1987 chevy 4x4 with a 350 TBI. What would I have to do to change it over to a carb instead of the TBI?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can suck fuel right through the electric pumps with a regular mechanical pump.It's not the right way,but it works.

You would have to disable the electric pumps so they don't run,and then use an HEI distributor to get rid of the computer controlled ignition.

You could also use a regulator to drop the pressur down to 5-6 psi to feed your carb,and not use the mechanical pump.

Why not kep the TBI ? Unless your making huge horsepower,it works just fine.

3. pmed79

pmed79 Junior Member

The truck just doesn't seem to have much pep. When I step down on the gas it doesn't downshift or seem to have alot of power. Sometimes it is hard to start too, do you know what the problem could be? I have another question for you too. The left turn signal doesn't work when my headlights are on it just stays on but will not flash. The right side signal works though. Someone else has put a stereo in it and a trailer harness on the back. Could either one of these be causing the problem. I just bought the truck and if you could help me out I would appreciate it. I thought you could help me since I saw your credentials. Thanks for your help

4. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Check all you bulbs.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Try new bulbs first,to eliminate them.If it still does ie,do the turn signals work OK with the headlamps off ? If so,it's most likely a ground problem,probably on one of the front signal lites

It sounds to me like you might have a problem which is affecting your starting,and power output.I'd start with the basics,like checking plugs,wires,cap,rotor,etc and the fuel filter.A bad fuel pump or plugged convertor will cause a lack of power too.

I stil think your better off fixing the problem,and keeping the TBI.It will probably be cheaper,and run better.

A little more info on what vehicle,motor,trans,etc you have will help too.

6. pmed79

pmed79 Junior Member

I have a 1987 Chevrolet V-20 4x4. It has a 350, auto trans(TH700-R4 I believe),air cond.,cruise control. It has dual exhaust but no converters. There is no heat riser pipe on it either. It has a 14 bolt rear end and 10 bolt on the front. It has a place for dual tanks and the switch but only one tank is on the truck. The fuel gauge doesn't work. The person I bought the truck off of says it needs a float. Do you know where I can get a float and sending unit for this truck? I cannot find the float anywhere. I plan on putting the other tank in sometime, what do I need to make sure the switch works to change between tanks? I hope you can help me out more with this info. I really appreciate all of your help!!!!

7. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

LMC TRUCK PARTS CATALOG.