1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1987 Chevy with a 6.2 Diesel ok for plowing snow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevy/GMC, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

I just sold my Duramax and looking for a older 73-87 3/4 ton chevy to plow with. Anything bad about plowing with the older 6.2 GM Diesel engines??? I know the power is no where neer the same but what about it being reliabile??

Any input would be great.....

2. countryboy1365

countryboy1365 Member

I use 6.5 and its been good to me so so far. For more reading check out dieselplace.com if you scroll down they have dedicated 6.2 and 6.5 forums.

3. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

The 6.2L had pretty good MPG but lacked power. I only new one person that had one and it was in an 84 K20, this truck was very good on fuel but again not much power. The owner of that truck swapped in a rebuilt 350 to replace the 6.2L

More info.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_V8_engine

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  4. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Not much power and awful loud.

5. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

had a buddy that had the 6.2 same thing power wasn't there swapped it out for 350 as well but no major probs with his 6.2

6. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

This is my 87, K30 6.2 that I picked up last summer just for a back up. Never thought I'd buy a truck this old, but I was just sick of the expensive stupid repairs & emissions bs on my other diesels. I can't really complain a whole lot about the power, but it is very loud. Obviously it's not going to deliver the power that my 6.0 or 7.3 does, but that's not why I bought it. It's a military truck...spent the first have of it's life in Korea & the second half w/ a fire department...which is why it's no longer camo colors. Bought it w/ only 26 k miles. My favorite part is how I can see & reach every part of the engine & no sensors or computers.

320.jpg

327.jpg

328.jpg

7. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

CORVAIRWILD plows with an 86 Blazer 6.2 non-turbo, he has a 2 inch lift and a 7.5 Speedcast

8. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

It's a Detroit, it has to be loud.

That guy has a different plow TEEEERUK just about every year. Should have his own TV show on Spike's power block.

9. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

super nice rig wanna sell it????

10. Dakota Dave

Dakota Dave Member

When I was in the Air force I had a fleet of 20 6.2 powered metros. they ran 24 hrs a day. driven by lots of differant guys on every shift. They rairly broke down and it was never a drive train problem. usually lights or heater or accidents. the trucks had fair low end torque but suffered at any hight speed driving. I would not be afraid of plowing with on as long as its been cared for. you don't need much speed to plow anyway. I plow with a 76 1ton dually and never use much more than idle speed.

11. Chevy/GMC

Chevy/GMC Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I bought a pretty nice 87 6.2 on Tuesday. Now I just need to give it a little TLC before next fall.

Thanks