1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1987 .5 ton 4x4

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fsange, Sep 23, 2004.

1. fsange

fsange Junior Member

i would like to know if an 8' western pro mount is too big for a 1987 .5 ton 4x4 p/u with a quad shock set up on front end
    also, is the mount for a 2 wheel drive 1987 chevy p/u the same for a 1987 4 wheel drive?
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  2. richardlewis

richardlewis Member

the biggest u can get is probally a 7.5 on that half ton
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

8ft is way to big and too heavy 7.5 is the max for that truck
  4. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

If u have leaf springs up front(i'm not sure when gm stopped putting leaf springs on the 1/2 tons) u might be able to get away with the 8 footer; just as long as you don't have it on the truck unless your plowing.... It all depends on how long your planning to keep the truck and if you want it to last.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2004
  5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I'm going to deviate slightly from the rest. IMO (WITHOUT looking at the actual specs) the eight footer can't be THAT much heavier than the seven and a half... The truck will have a corporate ten bolt front axle (8.5" ring gear) which is surprisingly stout... likely the same on the rear, but we'll focus mostly on the nose for this exercise. Everyone should remember that this is the same front axle used on the 3/4 ton version, just with six-lug hubs instead of eight.

ASSUMING that everything is in good mechanical condition, I would consider adding a front leaf spring (or airbags) to hold the weight and put on the bigger plow. For peace of mind, keep an eye on everything throughout the winter, including wheel torque etc.

I would assume you have a 305/700R4/NP208 combination in the truck. Make sure you have a large tranny cooler in line with your stock rad cooler and make sure the fluids are clean and full and you should have no problems.

Another option would be to buy the smaller plow and a set of Pro-Wings for it... then you can experiment for yourself.

I would SUSPECT the 2wd to 4wd mount to be the same or extremely close.... figure that they use the same bumper and mounts so the front archetecture must be similar... may need some minor tweaking where the bracing joins the crossmember if applicable...
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2004