1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1987 1T chevy dump truck

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by IHI, Jan 4, 2011.

1. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Bought it to use as a consolidation dumpster for when we do a bunch of small jobs, that way were were'nt making several trips each week to the landfill. I am getting out of construction so am going to start offing trucks and equipment.

1987 Chevy 1Ton 2WD
    350 TBI- previous owner said he had the heads freshen up since they were seeping oil past the valve guides, I never checked compression as the truck runs great, and did a basic tune up shortly after purchasing and have'nt had a problem with it.

TH400 tranny I was told was rebuild a year before I bought it, obviously has a shift kit as it does shift firm, zero slippage, and does not leak a drop...nor does the engine.
    Truck originally was a municpal truck with a 3 speed manual, previous owner obviously switched it over to auto.

Schwartz scissor hoist, electric over hydraulic. I had to install a new solenoid on it a few yrs ago, shop that did the solenoid installation asked if the hoist was a bit overkill for the truck? I guess the hoist is able to lift 2-3x's what the truck is capable of? I dunno, it's always dumped everything I've need, most I've ever hauled in 4 yrs was 4200lbs of shingles, other than that maybe used the truck a total of 12 times a year since it was only a catch all for small scrap.

Previous owner replaced the rockers/cab corners on both sides of truck and gave it a paint job. The paint is thin IMO, but it's one color. It does not have any through rust holes, only rust is where rock chips have scratched the paint and not been treated. One could quickly and easily scuff it and shoot a new color on, and it would honestly look good as new...if it does'nt sell, this spring, that is my plan and I will hang onto it.

I put 6 new tires on it as well as chrome simulators. Other than that, all i've done in 4 yrs is change the oil every 3 months, except from november to april since it just sat idle as we did'nt work during the winter other than snow removal...never hauled sand/salt or salt in the bed.

Truck bed is 8'W 9'L and 3' tall. I added the 2 2x10's to increase my scrap capacity and also installed the orange snow fence to tarp loads to landfill.

Previous owner owned a tree trimming business and did stump removal also, so he welded a hitch on the front of the truck to drive the stump grinder into position. I laughed, but I tried moving my open trailer this fall with it, and as much as I laughed inside at the guy..it works really slick:)

Anyhow, overall a great cheap dump truck. Could be used to get started in business, as a back up, as an addition, for a homeowner just wanting to have one around just to have the dump capability.

There is a crack in the windsheild, been like that since I got it, and I never bothered to replace it since we rarely drove it. Will need ball joints at some time, the truck wants to wander when hitting big choppy bumps- nothing scarey/out of control, but it's not a brand new truck either so one could chaulk it up to old age/just how it is, but obviously could be fixed. I just used it for the last time Monday to haul away scrap from building my shed..started right up as always and ran fine. You could drive this thing home if your coming a distance, but my personal opinion, I would'nt want to drive it for too long LOL, spoiled I guess, but just not my personal cup of tea...reliability wise it'd make it, hard to hurt/kill these small block chevies.

$2500obo, it's not hurting anything sitting here and I believe it's worth every penny of that since it does run and work so well..so no low ball offers please.
    contact joshmeighan@yahoo.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Interested in the wheel simulators for my 1986 if you care to sell them. Great trucks, hard to kill a Chevy K-series aside from rust. Great buy for someone as a backup dump.

3. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I bought a set off Flea bay for my cube van, just a cheap $99 set from china obviously, but 6 yrs later they're still rust free and no ding/dents..I'm very very happy with them, so check them out for a cheap set.

This set on the dump truck I tried to be nice and keep my money local, only cost me $138 MORE than the flea bay set, and there was'nt one bit of difference as far as I could tell with them.

4. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

just bumping it up

5. espyj

espyj Member

Where are you at in Iowa?

6. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Waterloo area, bout 2.5/3 hrs south of ya