1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1986 to 1977 Body Swap- HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Zeke270, Jan 12, 2001.

1. Zeke270

Zeke270 Junior Member

Hi all. I have a 1977 3/4ton 4x4 that I have completely restored
    mechanically. But the bed, cab, and nose are badly rusted. So I
    bought a mint 1986 Chevy 2WD with a blown engine, and I plan to swap
    all the body components to my 1977 frame. Will I encounter any
    problems??? I know I'll have to cut a hole in the floor of the '86 cab
    for my transfercase shifter. The gastanks are on the same side, so the
    fills shouldn't be a problem. As far as I can see, it should be a
    direct bolt up swap. am I overlooking anything???? Any input would
    greatly be appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
  2. Captkaos

Captkaos PlowSite.com Veteran

Direct swap minus the high hump. In fact, you can cut the one in the 4x2 and make the one in the 4x4 work in it. That way you will have your high hump removeable.
  3. Zeke270

Zeke270 Junior Member

You're talking about the hump in the center of the cab floor right over the transmission?? So it's not high enough to clear the tranny/transfer on my 4x4?? What do I do? Cut the whole hump out of both cabs, and weld or rivet the old one into the new cab??
  4. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

I swapped a 2 wd 1982 body onto a 4x4 chevy 1983 frame, and the only problem with the body was the hump. It wasn't much of a problem though, cuz the humps unbolted on both trucks, and had the same pattern. Is this the case with these? If not, I'd cut carefully when taking the hump out of the 2wd body, and get one of these bolt in humps, tap the holes, throw a gasket around it, and make it bolt in. Good luck.
  5. Mudrtrukr79

Mudrtrukr79 Junior Member

We are currently doing that to a 79 Chevy frame with an 86 2WD body, the hump appears to be the only difference , its bolted on the 79 cab but not bolted on the 86 so we have to cut the floor on the 86 and screw the hump from the 79 on to the 86 floor with BIG sheetmetal screws. Either that or the kid that owns the truck is thinking about putting a body lift on it and extending the transfer case lever. We also have to remove the cowl panel on the 86 body as we are reusing the 79 front clip. Its going slow but we are getting there . Hope this helps.