1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1986 Shop Manual(s)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by whwright, Aug 11, 2003.

1. whwright

whwright Member

I recently bought a 1986 Chevy C-10. I would like to buy a shop manual for the truck.

On eBay I have found something called a "shop manual," but I have also found something called a "unit repair manual."

Can someone tell me what the differences between the two manuals are? Which one has the wiring diagrams? Are there other factory manuals as well?

Thanks.

Wayne.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You have two choices,either factory GM manuals,or aftermarket stuff like Haynes,Chilton or Mitchell manuals.

Most of the original GM service manuls were broken down into three parts.One big book,which covers 99% of the truck.It even has small wiring diagrams which cover individual circuits.It also has a bit on ignition and carburators.The second book,is a drivablilty and emissions manual,which has detailed info on the fuel,ignition,and emission systems.The last one would be the master wiring manual,which has all the big wiring diagrams and schematics.You should be fine with just the big book,as it will cover most of what you need.They usually run $80-120.00 new and are specific to each model year.

The aftermarket manuals are less detailed,and primarily cover topics for the home user,or do-it yourselfer.They are much cheaper $20-40,and can cover several model years,and models,all in one book.

I have all of them for your truck,so if you ever need anything,drop me a line,and I'll fax it off to ya.

3. whwright

whwright Member

You told me exactly what I need to know.

Thanks!

Wayne.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

No Problem Wayne.

5. DrMaserati

DrMaserati Junior Member

Adding to what wyldman already said, GM also published Unit Repair Manuals. A Unit Repair Manual has very detailed information and instructions on overhauling the major components of the vehicle, such as transmissions, differentials, transfer cases, and A/C compressors. It makes a great addition to the factory service manual.

I'll be a little less diplomatic than wyldman and suggest you stay away from the junk manuals like Chilton, Haynes, and others, if you have the option of a factory manual.

6. whwright

whwright Member

Thanks for the info.

I'll keep watching eBay for some good deals.

Wayne.