1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1986 Ford F250HD

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by linckeil, Dec 9, 2007.

1. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

here are a few pics of my '86 F250 HD. i drove this truck back in high school mowing lawns when working for a buddy. then 5 years later he asked me if i wanted the truck - free. it had a bad rod knock. after building a motor for it, giving it a paint job and building the flatbed, its served me well. i have over 50 residential accounts i do by myself with this truck and its made me tens of thousands of dollars over the years. sure it needs maintenance every now and then, but the key with these older trucks is preventive maintenance. treat it right, and it'll treat you right. not a bad return on investment. the best trucks to plow with are the ones that don't owe you a thing. and this truck really moves the snow!

the truck in the background is my brother's 96 F350 PSD. i was borrowing his stump grinder at my house the day i snapped these photos. i've plowed with this too, but really perfer my '86.

what do you think?

truck 1.jpg

truck 2.jpg

truck 3.jpg

truck 4.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

looks great man, i have always liked the old fords. where in ct are you?
  3. linckeil

from CT

thanks goldpro, its not the prestiest truck on the site and doesn't have all the bells and whistles. just the necesities to get the job done. function over form....

i just moved to newtown ct about 2 months ago, but my route is in redding (a neighboring town) were i grew up and have been plowing since i was 16.
  4. linckeil

from CT

dang, only 1 comment since i posted the pics last month? don't you guys like to see the old junk too???

i guess you guys figure that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all ;)

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

yeah these guys only care about the nice new trucks, lol dont worry man i like it thats all that matters.
  6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Oh I miss this.

Your truck sure nice. Did you make those flatbed? It look to be came from store. How hard to build and cost for steel and stuff?

I need flat bed since my 1979 f150's bed is get worse rust when drive though water on road that have salt in there.

How strong to pull? very powerful and what transmission in there?
  7. linckeil

from CT

yes, i did make the flatbed. if i remember correctly, it cost me about $300 in steel about 7 years ago. i'm sure with steel prices as they are now, it would be a lot more today. the bed itself was wood planks to begin with, but i found that sand/wood/junk would fall through the cracks between the wood planks and all that crap would land on my gas tanks and it actually rotted one of them out. a buddy of mine is an engineer and was able to get me 4 big sheets of 1/8" thick stainless steel which i welded to the frame i had built a couple years earlier after removing the wood planks. stainless is great. no rust!!! i only wish i had built it to dump. that may be a future project.

with a welder, a grinder and careful measuring anyone can build one.

truck has a 351 windsor with a C6 3 speed auto and 4.11 gears in the differentials. needless to say it does not like the highway. anything over 60 mph and i'm turning over 3000 rpm and sucking down the fuel. it pulls strong, but not like a big block or diesel would.
  8. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

nice trucks i like them both i should of put a flat bed on mine and saved the brand new bed i just got put on i ran a mailbox down the side of it the other day. ahh who puts those things so close to the driveway. but nice truck
  9. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Looks good
  10. slclawn

slclawn Member
    from IN

Looks good man the best truck is one that is paid for. I just bought a 95 f250 today. The older the truck the easyer they are to work on and if you work them hard enough any truck will break things.
  11. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

I love fords and flatbeds(Own 2). I thought that was aluminum at first till you said SS. That would be damn expensive nowadays.
    Me and my friend built a flatbed for his toyota and he spent about $800 on just materials.