1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1986 F250 - plowing and carb setup

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by c_nice_37, Oct 25, 2010.

1. c_nice_37

c_nice_37 Junior Member

Hi Guys,

I have an '86 F250 with a 351 a 4bbl Holley. Question is more towards carb setup/ plowing than the truck specifically. I am using a conventional mount Fisher with all hydraulics under the hood.

I hooked up the plow last year and had no problems until later in the season. When in drive/reverse the plow would move so slowly, and mostly not at all until I gave it some gas. This led me to turn up the curb idle RPMs. I can hear for sure I did this. It was late March when I did this and it didn't snow again.

Fast forward to yesterday, and hooked up to check out everything, no leaks, etc. Well it's still slow as molasses to move up/ down even with the idle cranked up. I have no tach, but I'm guessing I'm well over 1k RPMs in park/ neutral.

I'm thinking either the belt is slipping (maybe as it worked well early on with new install and perhaps tighter belt?) or the pump is weak.

Any ideas? Troubleshooting tips? I do not have any spare pumps laying around.

Thanks in advance,
    Craig

2. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

check the belt and flush out the system. is the fluid full??

3. c_nice_37

c_nice_37 Junior Member

Fluid is full. I replaced the fluid last year when I installed the setup.

4. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

the fluid can attract water and loose some of it's properties... Try to flush and change fluid which you should do every year anyway. Also try to tighten the belt a little...

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Can you get pictures of that? Sound like you got wrong pulley size which cause spin slower and you need rev to pump fast.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

if it worked fine when you installed it...then it is NOT a pulley problem
    I am guessing dirty fluid or slipping belt

7. c_nice_37

c_nice_37 Junior Member

Here's some pics. I pressed with 1 finger as hard as I could and took a pic to show the "slack." I think that's step 1 to tighten but it didn't seem bad. Also - I did blow a heater core/ radiator and am wondering if there is still radiator fluid on that belt/ pulley. That could be the answer and now that I'm typing I'm betting on it.

Will flush the system once I figure out how to do that!

Ahead of time - there is no fan spacer and I've got about an inch of clearance. I only plow my driveway and a few neighbors and the truck is a weekend warrior only. I was kind of nervous but it doesn't really come close to touching the blades.

If you see anything else in these pics let me know. Thanks.

PULLEY:
    [​IMG]

SLACK:
    [​IMG]

8. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Too much slack there. Need tight more.