1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1986 dodge what do i need??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 1'snotenough, Oct 5, 2005.

1. 1'snotenough

1'snotenough Junior Member

I am looking to buy a plow truck. I found a good deal on an '86 w250 4x4. Good looking truck, i just need to know what all i need to get at the snow. I am thinking a western unimount will work. but please help if you know model numbers and specifics. I am buying the truck saturday.

This might be another issue but what all would i need to add a plow to my '05 1500. or is it really a bad idea like the rumors i have heard.

thanks

2. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

find a good used 8ft plow for the dodge and your good to go. a truck that old might break down in the middle of storm so be sure to have a back up/sub handy in case of a break down.

as for the 2005 1500. add a set of timbrens and a 7.5ft plow for it. fisher 7.5rd, blizzard 760, snoway 7.5, western 7.5, would all be good choices. check to make sure the plow wont void your warrentie if it does not have the snow plow prep package.

3. 1'snotenough

1'snotenough Junior Member

thanks

i appreciate the reply what do i need as far as a mount is there anyhting special i need, or specific due to this being an older truck. Sorry if you cant tell i am new to the plowing world. trying to get my feet wet

4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

i think for your dodge any mount from a 1973?-1993 dodge 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton will fit. find a plow for it, you can use any size from 7.5ft-9ft but i say 8ft is the best choice. one you find the plow find the correct mount for your truck. ebay has countless snowplows and a lot of those plows are off of dodges just like yours. if you want you can instant message me with questions my screen name is f2504x4351 maybe i can help out a little more.

5. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

86 dodge

that old dodge sounds good to me, i've got 2. i wouldn't have it any other way than a western plow, either! i run all westerns and 1 boss v-plow. i have 3 primary trucks and 1 backup. back to your dodge, change all the fluids, check all brake and fuel lines if there iffy change them. if you have an auto trans. put a big cooler on it. have your alternator gone threw. grease the front end religiously. some preventive maintennance now will go along way in a foot of snow later, the last thing you want is to break in the middle of a blizzard! change the oil in your plow to every year, also. just cause your truck is older doesn't mean it's gonna break. hope i shedded some light on the subject. i hope we all make piles of cash this year!!!!!!

6. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

You can see from my list of plow trucks where my loyalty is.... These things never let us down. When the sh!t is deep and the new trucks are sitting on the side of the road with the hazzards on... These keep on plowin'