1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1986 c20 fuel gauge problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cj3859, Jun 28, 2003.

1. cj3859

cj3859 Member

dual tanks,gauge worked fine, then just stuck at 1/4 tank for both tanks,switch operates valve ok, you can hear it working,can't find ground wires? do tanks have to come down?or can switch operate valve but yet screw up gauge reading? also when i removed my heat shield covering switching valve i found the fuel line almost cut thru because whoever made shield didnt flatten out the edges where it was spot welded together(just one more thing to fix!) thinking of buying a new tank dash switchto see if that works if not oh well "200 miles a fillup lol"

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It sounds more like a guage problem.If it was sender or ground related then it should change when you flip the switch,as both senders would not have the same problem.

Pull the switch out,disconnect it and check for power with the key on with a test light.You should find one with very dim power.Take the wire and ground it.With it grounded,it should go to full,or even over.With it ungrounded it will read empty.If it doesn't,then it's probably a bad gauge,or wiring problem to it.If the gauge works fine,then it could be a bad switch,or even a problem further back.You should be able to check the switch for continuity with an ohmmeter.

3. cj3859

cj3859 Member

thanks wyldman

will give advice a shot and see what happens,will post results,thanks

4. cj3859

cj3859 Member

did like ya said

followed directions,and sure enough gage was out,local junkyardand 10 dollars and i'm back up on the petrol :) thanks wyldman! oh yea i noticed on the back of the gage there is a white insulator block that is held on by two nuts do those go bad? if so can i find or order one? to fix my old gage for future use?if not no big,but thanks again!

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Glad I could help you get it fixed.Those white blocks do go bad,usually just doesn't make good contact,and the gauge does not work.Cleaning them usually works sometimes.Since the you have the old one you can experiment in repairing it to see if it will work.