1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1986 3/4 ton

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DOD, Dec 8, 2003.

1. DOD

DOD Junior Member

I have an 86 3/4 ton that is a mule when it comes to plowing or pulling. I have restored the entire truck, and except for the color, looks as god as yours. Forget the Blue Book, I have been offered 6000 for it and I won't part with it. You cannot kill the older trucks, they were built more rugged than the new ones today, the new ones have the creature comforts, but not the ruggedness.:nod:

2. jrich01

jrich01 Member
    from Ohio

how many miles on the motor and what size motor

3. DOD

DOD Junior Member

350, rebuilt about 10,000 ago, the truck has just over 100k on it.

4. jrich01

jrich01 Member
    from Ohio

Have u gave it a tune up or anything yet

5. DOD

DOD Junior Member

No, just keeps running great, have had 1 instance of poor gas causing it to missfire periodically, just put better (Mobil) gas in it and problem went away.
    PS. Meant this post to reply to 1985 post.

6. PROCUTSLAWNCARE

PROCUTSLAWNCARE Senior Member

AMEN brother!!!!!

7. jrich01

jrich01 Member
    from Ohio

carb? what kinda trailer
    how big

8. jrich01

jrich01 Member
    from Ohio

gotta pic of the beast :jester:

9. DOD

DOD Junior Member

Holley 650. The engine isn't stock, it will definately go down the road quickly. No trailer, Fisher 8' Plow though. The trailer is with the 1985 that was posted earlier I Think.

10. jrich01

jrich01 Member
    from Ohio

yeah thast the truck i bought.... sounds like u dont have any torque...
    whast done to the motor

11. jrich01

jrich01 Member
    from Ohio

i think i got that wrong...
    what octane do u use?

12. DOD

DOD Junior Member

It doesn't have the torque right off idle due to the cam thats in it now and the manifold. 10:1 pistons, new cam, torqer manifold, headers, Holley 650 (too small). Get the RPM's up a little though and hang on.

I attached a pic and submitted it, but I don't see it.

13. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

these trucks are awesome.

Like you, I completely restored mine. Cab corners, rockers, sand blasted the frame, inner fenders, fenders, door, ... got 2 new OEM bed sides waiting to go on..

My engine is a 350 with edelbrock performer intake, holly 650, and long tube headers. I have the same problem you do, the cam in it has no torque, but upper RPMs haul.

The truck used to be a manual, but I put a th400 in it to make it better to plow with.

4 inch lift is going in, and I plan on building another engine come spring. Either a big displacment small block, or a big block.. not sure yet....

I still want a newer diesel, but until I have the money, I'm staying with this. And I was also offered 5k when all the body work was done, and didn't take it.

14. DOD

DOD Junior Member

The truck is really my sons (his first) and he wanted to rebuild the motor to be a performance motor. I tried to tell him (but no father knows anything) that it wouldn't be any good just off idle because all the parts he was buying were for the mid to higher RPM range. It runs great, just lacks torque at low end, not a big deal. He now admits maybe I did know something after all LOL. Hey what the heck, "By the time I realized my father was right, I had a son telling me I was wrong". I was a kid once too, and he learned the hard way, now he won't forget that lesson.

15. DOD

DOD Junior Member

Finally got pic resized so it could be posted

1986 gmc-4.jpg

16. jrich01

jrich01 Member
    from Ohio

nice ride :bluebounc :nod:

17. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

great truck ya got there:waving:

18. PROCUTSLAWNCARE

PROCUTSLAWNCARE Senior Member

19. DOD

DOD Junior Member

Thanks guys, like I said, really my youngest sons. He found it and wanted it, we picked it up for about what the plow alone was worth. It was dinged up, but not much rust, except the cab corners and a little right behing the rear wheel opening. It had not been taken care of mechanically though, engine was blown, needed front end work, etc. We went over the whole truck, and he drove it for 2 1/2 years daily, I plow with it every winter, can't beat it.