1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1985 f 250 problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by plumberjohn, Dec 19, 2010.

1. plumberjohn

plumberjohn Junior Member

My son has a 1985 f 250 v8 he plows with. When it is wet and snowing it won't start but when it is dry everything runs fine-what do we need to look at? Replaced the distrib cap, plugs. What is the gap for the points?

2. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Should be electronic ignition unless someone swapped out the dizzy in favor of the points. Spray the dist cap with WD-40 to prevent water intrusion. I used to tape a plastic bag around the dizzy to keep it dry and that worked great.

3. plumberjohn

plumberjohn Junior Member

thanks--it isn't electronic Ign any other suggestions?

4. dgerke

dgerke Member

try replacing the plug wires

5. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

I always ran points and never had issues unless a lot of snow came in on the engine. Again, spray the inside and outside of the cap with WD-40 and put a plastic bag around it to keep it dry. What dist cap is he running? The smaller single piece cap or the larger two piece cap? Either will fit the dizzy, i preferred the two piece for the better wire to cap connections.

6. Yomax4

Yomax4 Junior Member

The cap may have a small crack in it too. The problem is surely the cap though. I had the same issue and replace the cap and it went away.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's got electronic ignition that year unless someone jury rigged points in it. I can tell you from experience with Ford plow trucks. You need to run the heavy duty cap or your going to have problems. I would write the date I changed it on the cap in marker. They last about 2 years plowing. The heat load of a plow truck kills them. If it does have electronic ignition, the module needs to be heavy duty too. It plugs into the distributor and the control wires from the CPU connect to it. The heat also ages the spark plug wires. They get stiff and crack if they are cheap ones. Look for burn through on the wires any where it comes close to metal. Being moist gives the high voltage a pathway to ground. Make sure a good coating of Dielectric Grease is placed in each end of the spark plug/coil boots. I even put a bead between the 2 cap halfs where they met.