1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1985 Dodge 350 4x4

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ecory, Dec 12, 2005.

1. ecory

ecory Junior Member
    from 80212

Hi Folks,
    I'm looking at a 1985 Dodge 350 4x4 automatic to plow my 200 yard driveway at 10400 feet near the continental divide in Colorado. Some of the driveway is at about a 20% grade. Lots of snow. Does this truck have the ability to run each axle locked? By that I mean, one wheel can't slip when the other is stationary. It has Warn hubs on the front. Thanks for any advise.
    Ed

Anxious to Ski

2. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

unless the differentials have limited slip units or lockers, no the axles will not be locked. Now, with that said, the truck you are looking at has just as much chance of having limited slip as any other, but you'll just have to look in the diffs. If you still want it, you can buy lockers and limited slips that you can easily install yourself. they are called "drop in". BTW, lockers are generally not a good idea on snow, a good limited slip is a better idea.

-Phillip

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

If that Dodge has a 350ci in it then I suggest walking away no make that RUN very fast!

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Did you mean A Dodge 3500?
    As for locking both axles. The rear axle may already have a limited slip differential in the rear. The front is probably an open differential. If you wanted you could have a locking differentials installed.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  5. Kentuckydiesel

In '85, a 1 ton 4x4 dodge would be a W150.

3500 didn't start until the body style change in '94.

-phillip

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

NOPE!!:rolleyes:
    It would be, W300 1ton, W2oo 3/4 ton, W100 1/2 ton:waving:
    then they went to thw W350 ,W250, W150.
    then 3500, 2500,1500

The name tags changed in the 60's 70's 80's

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  7. Kentuckydiesel

What do you mean nope, You just agreed with me???:dizzy:

I personally have a W150 made in '79. back then the 1 ton would have been a W300 though. now, in his case, it should be a W350. -Phillip

8. Kentuckydiesel

Oh, I just reread your post. You think the dodges had the 3500 start in the 80's. sorry, that's wrong. in fact, I have '93 fenders on my '79 that clearly say ram 350. :nod: I say we put some money on it, then I'll be payup

-phillip

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

NOPE:rolleyes: you said a w150 was a one ton and it's not it's a 1/2ton
    A w350 is a one ton.

I also have a 74 W200-(3/4ton) snocomander, and some other Dodges too.
    But we have HY=jacked ecory's thread so let's get this back on topic:waving:

10. Kentuckydiesel

My apoligies, i didn't realize i has mis-typed that. I thought you were argueing that 1500, 2500, and 3500 had been around since the 80s. My mistake. -Phillip

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

But they did go to the 2500 bagging over the W250, before they changed the body style. lol trust me..
    no, it's cool no problem:waving:
    I do like your truck though, but It will take a lot of work to make it a good plow truck, that is not to say it is a good truck for off-roading. Thats why I think you would be better off getting a different truck
    (I mean Dodge) to plow with.
    we should take this up in the off topic forum and let Ecory get his thread back. sorry ecory:waving:

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Sorry:eek: for the Hy-jacking your first post....
    Now back to the Q. at hand Guys???

13. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

While answering this without know knowing more about the truck is all but impossible

1 tons single wheel trucks (SRW) all had Dana 60 rear ends (this is good even if it is not a anti spin differential the can be bought and installed)

The 1 ton SRW could have either 2 different transfer case and 2 different front axles.

The weaker of the 2 would be the NP 208 transfer case with the Dana 44 Central axle disconnect (CAD) front Axle (While this is a ok the 208 is a chain drive case and can show where in the form of chain slop. The Dana 44 CAD is weaker with size and the vacuum operated CAD)

The stronger of the 2 is the NP 205 transfer case with the Dana 60 front axle
    (This set up is almost bullet proof the 205 is gear drive and the Dana 60 are easy to find parts for to make it anti spin)

how to tell them sets apart.
    1 the Dana 60 front uses a 4 bolt steering arm (where it looks like it bolts to the housing)
    2 The Dana 44 Front uses a 3 bolt steering arm bolts are in a crescent shape (this should also have vacuum bulb mounted between the carrier and drover side spring)
    3 NP 208 is an alumin case
    4 NP 205 is a big steel case

14. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

94 was the first year they went to 1500, 2500, and 3500.

This was the first year for new body style but if you remember the first year with that new body style they only build ½ tons 1500’s so any 2500’s and 3500’s were still built as old square trucks.

15. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Wow

I have a W250 I think Most defintly not a 3500

J & B Lawncare

16. Kentuckydiesel