1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1985 chevy scottsdale-won't shift

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by buster223, Jan 24, 2007.

1. buster223

buster223 Junior Member

hi,
    I need some help figuring out how i can fix a problem with my truck. I can't get it to shift at all. The shifter is stuck. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

thanks

2. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

How about you tell us what type of trans, floor or column shifter, and what do you mean by "stuck"?

3. buster223

buster223 Junior Member

shifter stuck

It's a 700 trans with a column shifter and I can't get it out of park. It's stuck I can't get it to shift.

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

First thing that comes to mind is true about any automatic in any vehicle. This was in my drivers ed handbook when I was learning to drive and while I've never had it happen, it was obviously there for a reason. I HAVE had it really really stiff on hills before.

Is it sitting on any kind of slope? The weight of the vehicle could then be putting a lot of pressure on the parking pawl in the tranny and you may not be able to overcome that. Try having someone rock the truck back and forth a bit while you try to shift it, that will unload the pawl momentarily.

If that doesn't work, have a look underneath that the tranny linkage isn't off its pivot and wedged somehow. Not much to go wrong with them!

This is, of course, assuming that the tranny worked fine when parked!

5. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

My 85 chevy often will stick in park when sitting on a slope as Derek mentioned, that could very well be your problem. How hard have you tried pulling on the shifter to see if it would come loose from park?

6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Do your brakelights work? I dont know that they did it that long ago, but some vehicles have the foot pedal safety for when you take it out of park, and if you blow a fuse to the brake lights you can't activate the release. But I think Dereks probably more right, I've had to do that plenty of times. My 97 actually has a similar problem but it doesn't have mechanical linkage like yours. Theres an intermittent wire fault that occasionally fails to recognize the brake circuit, and it won't let me take it out of park until I've fiddled with it and swore at it for ten minutes.