1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1985 Chevy K-20 with Western 7'6"

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 496 BB, Nov 7, 2010.

1. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Finally got my truck. Had some title problems but is all legal and good now. Bought it back in September and just got it Friday. Nicest older C/K Ive seen around here as I searched for over a month straight and drove as far as Indiana to look at "nice clean" trucks.

Anyways its completely rust free. ZERO. Has some farmers undercoating under it that looks like some grease. Forget what he said it was but its clean as hell underneath. Frame is excellent also. Has 14 bolt FF in rear and Dana 44 up front. 350 SBC mated to Th400 (shift kit) and boat anchor NP203 (soon to be converted to part time). Has Western 7'6" Pro and cable pump and soon to be gone alternator that cant operate plow correctly. In the process right now of figuring out parts list to convert to dual alternators. Waiting on some slacker to confirm my list though :laughing:

Looks as if mount has been custom fitted but could be wrong. Things been sitting awhile as the manifold has about a years worth of mice turds in it as with the rest of the compartment full of bird ****. I havent had time to clean this yet so disregard the dirtiness.

Plans are an LQ4 (6.0L) (or 8.1L...havent decided) swap next year and a full body off going over making it salt/rust proof all over. Gotta make it strong as its dubbing as a summer mudder also ;)

0923101751.jpg

0923101751a.jpg

My Truck 002.jpg

My Truck 001.jpg

My Truck 006.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Heres another pic

Truck.jpg

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

dang that thing is awesome, those are one of my fav trucks.

4. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice truck. That's a 3/4 ton right.

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Looks very solid. Congrats

7. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

really nice. i'm not a chevy fan, but those early 70s - mid 80s trucks were tough and looked good.

there's a one ton dually regular cab, 8 foot bed, 454, auto, 4x4 truck for sale near me. never had a plow on it and in excellent shape. its a 8 out 10 and is beautiful. my buddy called on it and the guy wants $7500. a fair price if its the truck you have your heart set on.

does your truck have a body lift on it? it appears to be lifted and the bumpers look to be sitting a bit low, leading me to believe the body was lifted.

good luck with it - chevy nailed the styling on these trucks.

9. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Nice old K20, they sure can take and endless beating.

Try to find a little bigger blade for it, it'll handle it fine. I have a Fisher MM2 8'6" straight blade on my 85 K20, I don't think the truck even notice's the weight of it, front end barely goes down when raised.

10. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

nice truck...i plowed with the same set up from 1993 to 1999.....had a 350 engine....built like a tank....keep the pictures coming...i would like to see the build

11. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Yea its a K20. It does have a body lift and I think the setup is 3" body and 4" spring up front with 4" block out back. Its been lifted for awhile and its all bout to change next year. I HATE body lifts. Looks like hell with the gas tanks sticking out. I probably will put a 6" all spring lift like I did my old 79. Only thing is this mount for the plow is custom and I sure it will effect it somehow. Have to talk to Mike on that one ;)

As for the blade. Im leaving it for this season. It will be my first plowing and Im sure I got alot to learn but Im a wheel man so it should come easy. I get paid by the hour so I dont care how long it takes me....lol. Im sure once I get my own stuff though I will be putting a huge ass blade on there.

Right now though my main concern is getting dual alternators as I got to rev the hell out of this to lift the blade. Im sure its a stock alt which isnt anywhere enough even with my dual batteries. Will be going serpentine here shortly.

Doing the gauge cluster tonight. Cant stand not seeing any lighting. Took all apart and painted inside white gloss. Hoping it will reflect all colors better than the beige. Ordering my LEDs also tomorrow or when I hear back from them on specs.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  12. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

hahahaha ya that was interesting the day they towed it back to work

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

While you're changing things around get the correct year front bumper on there too. :waving:

14. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Hey....who invited you in here? :laughing:

15. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

16. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Nice find. An LQ4 would be pretty sweet under that hood... :)

17. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

18. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

nice old solid truck.

good site to find tons of info and ls series motor swap stuff is www.ck5.com lots of guys over there swapin in these 5.3 and 6.0 motors.

and you should just swap in a single alt out of a olds mini van with rear air . the alt is basicly 90% drop in and 125 amp stock. there is info on this over there also.

p.s. same screen name for me over there.

19. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

OK heres some action shots of this.

85.jpg

852.jpg

853.jpg

20. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

very nice!!! I love the old K series trucks. Miss the 87 I once had.