1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1985 Chevy K-20 Plow Truck with 87K miles

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by darryl g, Feb 5, 2010.

1. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

I'm selling my 1985 Chevy K-20 Pickup. It's pretty much in original condition (and it shows). I'm the second owner. I picked it up from a local dealer around 1999 who purchased it from the original owner. Less than 10k miles on remanufactured heads professionally installed. Less than 15k on anything else I've done to it. I gave it a lube job and new wipers last fall before deciding to just put my money toward a plow for my 2003 Silverado.

The body is definitely rough but mecahnically it's pretty sound. It's got the heavy duty 350 engine, 3 speed auto with the 4:10 rear. It starts, runs and shifts well. 4wd high and low work fine but it's a bit of a stiff pull for low. I've replaced the fuel tank, radiator, Y pipe, starter and ball joints/tie rod ends and brakes. It only has 87K original miles on it...and I'm sure it's not 187k or 287k. Tires are excellent with a good matching spare. I have all the receipts somewhere for the work I've done to it. I did upgrade the vacuum activated choke to an electronic one, otherwise it's pretty much stock. The bed appears to have been replaced before i purchased and is in good shape. Gate is rusty and handle is half rusted off but opens and closes with some care. Comes with a plastic Pendaliner bedliner which I have out now to allow inspection.

I the left fender is pretty rotted and flaps around. Needs a tail pipe and probably a muffler, Needs some brake lines, Transmission lines (there's a section of rubber line on there now -field repair). Rocker panels and cab corners are pretty much gone, fuel gauge is intermittent (I replaced the sender unit), temp guage didn't appear to be working last time I fired it up, windshield washer not working. It may be a grounding problem as far as the gauges go. Passenger side door met a post while plowing and is pretty rotted now, driver door is better but the hinge is sagging a bit now so you have to lift to close it. There is some frame rust but it's still pretty solid. Rear drive shaft is rusty as well and seems ok to me but should be checked out.

As for the plow, it's a Fisher speedcast 7.5 footer and works just fine (albeit slow being belt driven). The center pivot was pretty worn and the plow was getting hung up on an ear on the frame so a local welding shop fixed that at the end of it's last plowing season (2008). Recent exterior hydraullic lines. I have a spare pump. The bottom of the lift cylinder is kind of rotted too.

For someone who has a place to strip this baby down and do the work themselves, this would be a good truck to rebuild as a landscaper/plow truck or use it as-is with some work as a yard/lot truck. Or as a parts truck of course. The motor runs really well and is probably it's strongest point. Y pipe looks nice still and tires have very little wear, still have deep lugs. Like I said, under 10k on remanufactured heads...bottom of motor is original as far as I know.

The interior is pretty darn good for a truck this age. No rips, tears or cracks. There is one small ding in the windshield.

The truck is in southeastern Connecticut...local pickup only. Due to it's conditiion, I would highly recommend giving this truck a good look over in person before making any offers. I'd assume it needs to be towed or flatbedded but it does drive. Potential buyers are welcome to drive it around my place as it's currently unregistered.

The attached pictures were taken last year but still represent it's overall condition pretty well.

Price is $1,200 OBO. The tires, heads and Y pipe are worth that.

Trucks and GP in snow 025.jpg

Trucks and GP in snow 038.jpg

Trucks and GP in snow 035.jpg

Trucks and GP in snow 036.jpg

Trucks and GP in snow 037.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  2. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

P.S. - This baby was beautiful and it was clear that it wasn't used for commercial plowing when I bought it with 70K miles on it. I haven't really plowed that much with it, I've never replaced the cutting edge on the plow if that tells you anything. I used it for landscaping when I started out too. It really hasn't had that hard of a life, it just looks like it, lol.

3. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

Nice one Darryl. I still have my 1977 k30 dump truck, just like this one. It surely is a beast. These trucks are tough and will do anything. Good luck with you sale.

4. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Thanks. Surely it's time to upgrade to a newer model. I will take a dump bed just fine ;) And with single wheel rear you'll be saving money on tires, lol.

5. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

I agree, it is just nice to see that some of these are still around. Mine also has the 8' fisher speedcast on it, but with the 454 big block and an auto trans!

6. stunter2boy79

stunter2boy79 Member

how are the floor pans on it?

7. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Seem O.K. except on the driver side where the left foot rests...i can feel it flexing a bit while driving. There's a good bit of daylight in the left front cab corner. Most of it seems solid though, but there's a rubber tub floor on it. I haven't looked under it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  8. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

New Pics

I just went out and snapped some new pics. Make no mistake, this truck is rusty. I maintained the mechanicals on it but never got to doing the body work. I used to send it into the shop every year in the late fall and have it gone over and would do at least the top of the list to keep it road worthy and reliable.

Anyway, here's pics.

85plowtruck 001.jpg

85plowtruck 002.jpg

85plowtruck 003.jpg

85plowtruck 004.jpg

85plowtruck 005.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  9. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Couple more

Here's a couple more. If anyone wants pics of anything else just let me know.

85plowtruck 006.jpg

85plowtruck 007.jpg

10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Is it highway (like 55MPH) driveable?

If so, I'd give you $800 Cash for it.

11. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Well it's never loved the highway with the 3 speed auto and 4:10 rear but I'm sure it will do 55 to 60. To be honest it might be a little sketchy for a road trip at this point though. It hasn't been driven on the road in about a year. Brake and tranny lines are rusted. Rear brake reservoir was down when I fired it up and I think that line may be weeping a little. There's a rubber tranny cooler line spliced into the tranny line at this point. I haven't checked the rest of the line..it would suck if that blew out while on the highway. Trying to be honest here.

I was hoping to get a little more for it with the tires being hardly used, recent Y pipe and $200 into the plow at the end of it's last season, plus the remanufactured heads. I think I'll hold out for $1,000 at this point. I've still got $1,500 on it out front but gonna drop that to $1k tomorrow. If you're not in a rush for it I can get back to you if I get desperate enough to sell it for $800.

12. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

First $1,000 Cash Takes it

First $1,000 cash takes it. As-is but I'll help anyone who wants it to get it out of here anyway I can. Comes with hydro fluid for the plow, 5 spare headlights (got on sale when Ames was going out of business), spare plow pump, Pendaliner bed liner and full size spare on new rim.

13. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

hey darryl did you try putting this truck on craigslist? I bet it would sell quick.

14. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Classic Chevy Pickup

Yah I did put it up on craigs list actually. Mostly I'm getting replies from scammers trying to get me to click links and people wanting parts. I'm probably being too honest about it, lol.

How's this instead...Beautiful classic Chevy pickup for sale. Low miles. Just needs a little TLC and 5 pounds of bondo. Sacrifice, $1,000.

Blizzard heading this way..my phone will probably start ringing off the hook any minute.

15. ajchuck

ajchuck Junior Member
    from Iowa

If it was closer I would be all over this truck!!!

16. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Still got it guys. Runs and plows.

17. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

bump...Fires right up and runs well, 87.5k original miles, 10K on reman head, plow in good shape, first $1k takes it, body panels are cheap for these

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The plow looks to be in good shape. A couple of questions. Does the blade stay up by itself? And do you have to rev the motor to lift the blade?

Do you know what transmission it has?

19. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

The blade will leak down slowly over time, probably air in the lines, but I don't know. It's not leaking any noticeable amount of fluid, I do know that. If you're traveling with it you just have to bump it up once now and then. For long runs you can chain it up. No you don't have to rev the engine to lift the blade or angle it. I wouldn't call it fast, not compared to the new electric/hydraullic ones, but it moves fine. The center pivot has zero hours on it. Had that fixed at the end of it's last season plowing. The plow was disassembled, gone over and repaired by my trailer/welding shop to the tune of $180 bucks. It could probably use a new edge before long. I've never replaced it and it very well may be original. There is a small crack in the moldboard where one of the trip springs mounts but it's been there for years and I don't think it's a problem. It's starting to rust a little on the outside uprights too, nothing major though. The former owner reportedly didn't plow with it commercially. I did from the winter of 2002/2003 through 2007/2008.

Not sure of the exact transmission model or anything but it's the 3 speed auto and it's strong. No hint of any trans problems.

The major mechanicals are all good but the body is really starting to go on it.

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You might have better luck moving it if you get creative with your ad. Try listing the plow only for $600 or so. If someone calls let them know they can have the whole works for a few extra bucks. Or list it as a parts truck. Or the engine only.....