1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1984 GMC air conditioning

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 84gmcman, Jan 23, 2003.

1. 84gmcman

84gmcman Junior Member

Hello guys,

I have an 84 GMC pickup that didn't come with factory air conditioning. But recently I found a truck that has cold factory ac. It is an 84 gmc like mine but not in great shape. I want to move the ac over to my truck. I was wondering if anyone had tried this before. If there was any pointers you could give me, or tell me if there were any problems I might run into.

Thanks A lot

2. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I may be wrong but you may have to swap cabs.

At least this will bump this back to the top.

Hopefully someone has done this,
    Mark K

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

IF YOU HAVE SKILL IT CAN BE DONE BUT IT MAY NOT BE WORTH

THE AGG.

CARDOCTOR

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

You will have to pretty much gut both cabs. All the duct work needs to be run under the dash to the respective outlets in the dash panels. You will also have to change the blower housings, and cut a bigger hole for the blower in the cab with no A/C.
    The compressor and condensor, along with appropiate switches will also have to be replaced. the fan and A/C controls will have to be swapped over. All in all I would say you have at least 1 weekend full of work, perhaps 2 if you are not familiar with GM trucks. I have swapped non A/C interiors into an A/C equipped cab, and it isnt to bad. Just take your time and do it right and you will be all set. Take some pics so that if you forget, you will have an image to go by.
    Dino

5. 84gmcman

84gmcman Junior Member

Thanks alot for the help guys. I have a lot of time and money in this truck so I will probably go ahead with it. I did a frame off restoration on it about a year ago. Most of the parts are new. About a month ago I was rear ended by a tri axle dump truck while I was sitting at a stop light. Luckly it didn't bend the frame. His insurance company gave me about $7000 to fix the damages, and my truck is an 84 so it had to be in good shape. So what wasn't new before is now. It is getting painted right now so hopefully it will be back in a week. Well anyways, thanks for the info. And I am probably going to go ahead and try to switch the a/c.

Thanks alot.