1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1984 Chevy hard to start

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chavez, Nov 18, 2002.

1. chavez

chavez Junior Member

Whenever the truck sits overnight it is difficult to start. I pump it a few times and it will run for about a half a second and die. I have to repeat this a few times before I can give it some gas with out it stalling. After about ten seconds it will idle on its own. Any thoughts? I also have a hesitation when taking off and I have to give it gas slowly. If I floor it, it doesn't go anywhere. Related problems? I'm worried I won't get it started when it gets really cold. I had this same problem in the summer as well.

1984 Chevy K-10
    305 w/ 87000 miles
  2. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

first check for vacume leaks

if none found make sure the choke linkage is free moving not gummed up and that it sets when you pump it

if this all is ok get a carb rebuild kit and new float and filter most likly the accelerator pump is shot and a freshening up is all thats needed
  3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

sounds like a choke problem
  4. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Nothing better than a new carb!
  5. chavez

chavez Junior Member

Do you mean, it "sets" when I pump the accelerator? I assume this is a flap in the carb?
  6. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

when the engine is cold, the choke should set when you press the gas pedal.
  7. TrailK10

TrailK10 Member
    from NH

Definetly sounds like a choke problem. I have an edelbrock 600cfm carb w/ manual choke truck doesn't like to go unless its warmed up.
  8. TRUP

TRUP Member

Had the same problem with a Ford powered by a 4.9L. Trying to pull the boat out of the water was cute. I had the carb rebuilt, and that took of the problem for about twelve months.
  9. raceman6135

raceman6135 Member

I agree with everyone who says "carb rebuild." I had the same problem with the Quadrajet on my 1986 C-20 crew cab w/the 350 "M" engine.

As a side note, Q-jets often leak from (up to) 6 pressed in plugs on the bottom of the carburetor. When rebuilding, mix up some fuel-resistent epoxy and smear the plugs to ensure a leak-proof assembly.