1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1983 F350, 6.9L diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by TRO, Nov 3, 2008.

1. TRO

TRO Junior Member

I need some help. I have a 1983 F350 dump truck with a 6.9L diesel with 68,000 miles. I started the truck last week and it turned over slow and the batteries seemed to be low, this is not a daily driver and it can sit for a couple of weeks without being started. I charged the batteries and it started. The next day when I went to start it nothing, only a click. I had the batteries tested both good. I cleaned all the connections, I even changed the solenoid only a click. I tried to jump it nothing.
    Could it be the starter?

Thanks.

2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I would check for a battery drain first.Try this ,with the batterys fully charged at night,unhook the neg lead on both batterys ,if it starts in the morning after you hook nthem back up, you have a drain but if the batterys are dead well then you need batterys.Keep in mind that this engines starter draws alot of amps so a good battery for .a gas engine may not be good enough for that engine.

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

What cca say if it cheap battery or underpowered then it could have trouble start those 6.9L? It could be dirty connector on battery to starter. Those 6.9L are hell hard start than 7.3L

Is this truck have rust body or frame then it could be wire not contact good due dirty.

Have you try bypass solenoid with screwdriver or Wrench to touch 2 post if it spin then it could be bad solenoid again.

Try put ground cable to starter's surface and positive on starter's post then see if it spin little fast then it could be ground or bad wire.

Or alternator not charge really good. Do you have volt multimeter? Check what volt when it run now. It should be 14-16 volts when it run.

I have almost same problem that it spin so slow. It was starter that was crack. Battery is good but we try find why it won't spin fast like it have very weak battery. That was 2 hours of figure why it won't spin fast until we remove starter to check if it spin fast. Saw crack so replace it now it work better.

4. TRO

TRO Junior Member

Thanks gentlemen for the suggestions. I cleaned all the connections and bypassed the solenoid as suggested, nothing. Thats why I think it might be the starter.

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

You could remove starter and test it. Or get to auto zone or Murray or Advanced store they will test for free.

6. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

if it turns out to be the starter, do yourself a big faver and if it is the huge delco stater,replace it with the mitubishi starter.It has gear reduction and spins twice as fast oh and is half as big in size as the delco.It will bolt right in.

7. TRO

TRO Junior Member

Thanks again for the suggestions. I pushed the truck with the tractor and got it started and took it my buddy who is a mechanic and he is going to fix it. I just don't have the time right now and I need the truck to deliver firewood. I did tell him about the smaller Mitubishi statrer and he is going to look into getting one.