1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1983 f250 over heated

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bounty21061, Oct 17, 2005.

1. bounty21061

bounty21061 Member

what can i do on a 83 f250 2 stop over heating i drove my truck today with the plow on on went about 8 miles and it started to over heat any ideas what i could do i was thinking trying to put in a electric fan but not sure if that would work

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You need to lower the plow and angle to the right. It's a common problem with Ford's,the Meyer install manual even states this fix. Make sure the front of your radiator/grill is clear of blockage and bent fins. Keep an eye on the temp gauge and adjust the plow hight till it stays in range.

3. raptorej

raptorej Junior Member

over heat

yor can also try putting a 3 or 4 row raidator in i have a 87 f250 and i hade the same problem put it in the temptuer is fine know

4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

the major issue is not to block air flow to the radiator but i dont know if you just got this truck or only drive it in the winter but we had one a while ago an 86 with no overdrive and with the plow that baby was smoking but i dont know what your deal is

5. MickiRig1

If it has a fan clutch it could be fried. Blocked fins in the radiator. Water pump impeller could be getting eroded. Thermostat could be weak ready to fail. But I bet it's the plow, it was too high and blocking air flow too much.

6. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

besides all the above whens the last time you flushed your cooling system? Every year you should unless adding an additive that keeps corrosion down. I would also recommend a new rad if your's is old or alot of bent fins. I always buy one that is for an A/C equpiied truck because it has an extra core.

On the E-fan issue that won't help with cooling while you are above 15mph. I have ran both and to be honest the mechanical clutch fan cooled better at higher speeds then my dual E-fans, i think there is less air flow because the E-fans are mounted real close to the rad. But the E-fans kill the clutch fan while plowing as i can keep it at 180 the whole day.

BTW i run my plow all the way up when driving during heavy storms because the blade will catch the unplowed roads snow and never have any cooling issues (knock on wood)

7. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

My brother has an early 90S chevy 1/2 ton that is doing the same thing.

8. 8ftspeedcastguy

8ftspeedcastguy Junior Member

83 F-250 overheat problem.

Hi, I own an 83 f-250 and have a 8ft fisher speedcast mounted on it.Truck has a 351 windsor in it with 4 speed man tranny.I have driven it 20 or 30 miles at a time with no overheating because I installed a 3 inch body lift on the truck(not suspension lift). It brings the radiator up over the blade real nice.Hope this helps you.:)

9. 8ftspeedcastguy

8ftspeedcastguy Junior Member

83 F-250 overheat problem.

Allso, I keep a little extra air in my front tires.This alows for increased radiator hieght from pavement while giving you more room to drop the plow down below radiator level.:nod:

10. MickiRig1

I just replaced my fan clutch 2 weeks ago on my (89) 351ci. I have had the plow on for the last 2 weeks. It now makes no difference where the plow is at going down the highway it stays in the "Normal Range" on the gage.
    The fan should be "Roaring" at low speeds when it's warm,if not the clutch may not be engaging.