1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1982 K-5, 6.2L Diesel - 95k miles...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PlowVA, Nov 19, 2009.

1. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

How are these for plowing vs the 350 gassers?? Any weight issues on the front axles? Reliability of these detroit diesels? Electrical mods needed???

2. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Drove over an hour to check the truck out(yes I did call ahead). Got there and a guy just drove it off the lot 10mins ahead of me. I think I missed out on a good one!! Damn!
  3. tough85bronco

tough85bronco Junior Member

tend to be expensive engines with lots of break downs and cold start issues! Major pain in the ass for a plow truck! Gasser all the way! And I dont believe it is a detroit! Its a gm block!
  4. tuna

tuna Senior Member

It is a Detroit not a GM block.The GM block was the 5.7 which was only in cars and half ton 2wd pickups and it was only for a couple of years @78-79.One common missnomer is that the 5.7 was a converted Olds 350,it was not it was a deisel specific casting that used the Buick,Olds,Pontiac bell;housing bolt pattern .The block was beefed up and a lot of Olds drag racers used them to build gas race motors.