1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1982 Gmc W/ 454

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Jan 19, 2006.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Here it goes: My family owns a good sized horse farm. It is time to get an upgraded larger trailer. I have been looking around and found one that will work. It comes with a 1982 GMC High Sierra Crew Cab Dually with a 454 and 94,000 origional real miles. The trailer has a GVW of 13,500 and the truck has 10,000. All that anyone tells me is gas mileage, gas mileage, and gas mileage. This truck will be used solely for farm use only and will not be a daily or every few day driver. It has dual tanks, so it will take a lot to fill up of course. I'll probably only need to fill the thing up lets say 10 times a year or something like that. So, my questions are about what MPG should I expect from this pulling or not pulling? Is the 454 a somewhat decent engine for this time of a job? It has been maintained by a dealer since new and he has all the paper work on it. He is only the second owner. It is in good shape, but it is a 1982. Of course diesel is the way to go by far, but I do not have that much kicking around right now and this guy is giving me more than a fair deal on the thing. He said that I could bring it to my mechanic and have him check it out. If there is anything wrong with it, he will either pay to fix it or pay for the check up on it if I do not want to buy it. He said he would even put it in writing!!! Any thoughts would be great!:waving:

2. Caleb55

Caleb55 Member

The 454 would be a good engine for what you wanna do. I'd say you should expect something like 8 mpg if the engine is tuned up good.

3. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

That will be a geat truck for you Should be trouble free, the 454 is okay but alittle overkill for what your doing, but you can never have enough power right?

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Thanks for the replies. I know that it is probably too big of an engine, but the more power the better. That, and the guy will not sell the trailer without the truck and I really want the trailer. The truck is just icing on the cake!