1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1980 Chevy transfer case

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Trog, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Trog

Trog Junior Member

Hopefully someone can help me with this. Simply put whenever I hit a hard bump my trucks transfer case jumps into neutral whether I'm in 2wd or 4wd. Any suggestions ?

Thanks
    Dave

2. TubedYota

TubedYota Member

Cab mounts or trans mounts maybe? unless it's something in the case I don't know...........do you happen to know what case it is? 203?......205?

3. TubedYota

TubedYota Member

it will have a little round silver and red tag on it and that would tell you what model it is

4. Trog

Trog Junior Member

we're going to drop the trans this week but I think its a 205

5. Trog

Trog Junior Member

Checked today it is a NP205

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Something must be hitting the shifter. Those plungers on the case are quite difficult to move. As previously mentioned, check motor and trans mounts. Also, check your cab mounts, and that there is enough clearance around the shifter. You don't say what trans you have, but I used to plow with a tonner w/4speed and NP205. Crawled under there one day and EVERY bellhousing, trans to adapter, and adapter to case bolt was loose.

7. Trog

Trog Junior Member

it has the turbo 400 transmission

8. Trog

Trog Junior Member

we were under the truck today and found a bad trans mount. Getting a new one tomarrow, hopefully that helps