1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1980 chevy fullsize no turn signals? help!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lcncapo, May 7, 2008.

1. lcncapo

lcncapo Junior Member
    from roch ny

hey guys today i was driving and noticed that my turn signal flasher wasnt " clicking" when i got home i checked and sure enough i had no turnsignals. when i had my foot on the brake pedal, and hit the turn signal, the brake lights went out. anyone know the answer or at least where to start? thanks for the help

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

turn signal's reply go bad lot time when it old. My 79 f150 have those it dead and replace 2 times.

Your truck sound fuse is blew it or not ground right it.

for turn signal reply you should see that silver circle which look bowl but it is metal but most it could be metal or plastic. [​IMG]

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Mill's on the right track with the flasher....

Since you mentioned that the turn/brake light goes out when you have the brake and turns on at the same time, there's a good chance you have a defective turn flasher. It's located in the fuse panel and should look just like the one in Mill's pic (bottom right corner).

4. lcncapo

lcncapo Junior Member
    from roch ny

this wasnt the prob. i replaced the flasher w/ a new one and they worked. then i tried to pull out of autozone parking lot and no signals again. plugged in the old flasher and it worked again, for a minute. wiresinto the fuse block are good. what about the ground? where does it connect to frame?

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I think there are ground wires in the back near the tail lights that ground from the harness to the body or the frame.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does it only affect one side of the turns, or will it do it on BOTH sides?

7. lcncapo

lcncapo Junior Member
    from roch ny

both sides

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's both sides and the flasher didn't solve the issue then the turn signal switch itself is probably defective. It's the only other thing that will affect BOTH sides while the brakes lights are illuminated. Not at all uncommon for them to wear out on an old truck.

The next time they don't work, try wiggling the turn lever slightly. Sometimes they will magically begin to work again.