1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1979 Rearend Gears

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by smokley455, Nov 26, 2008.

1. smokley455

smokley455 Junior Member

How do I determine the rearend that is in my 1979 Chevy 1/2 ton 4 x 4 ? Stamped on the front of the center section on one side (GM 82) and on the other side (3896839 N). This is a 12 bolt rearend.

Second question: I'm pretty sure the current gears are 3.08's and with 34" tires you can imagine doesn't give me much low end. Would 3.73 be enough or should I go taller? This is a truck I drive often but need enough low end to pull a trailer or someone out of a ditch.

As always . . . . . thank you in advance for any and all advice.
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

well if it was me i would go find a scrap 3/4 ton or a 1ton and swap in those axles. its a basic swap for the 3/4 ton stuff a little more for the rear 1ton axle.

this will get you bigger brakes and best gear ratio for your needs. most 3/4 tons were 4.10 and that will give you good power to gear ratio with 34 -35" tires. and in the end will be much cheeper than gear swap on both axles you have now.

and you can get 8lug steel wheels in 15x8 and 15x10. if you go this route get 2.5" backspacing rims so you can bolt and go with no caliper grinding in the front.

tons of good info on these old trucks at www.ck5.com friendly site also.