1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1979 K-5 - Thinking about picking this up for small lots...Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PlowVA, Nov 16, 2009.

1. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

""Automatic 350 . Brand new front locking hubs, new radiator, belts and hoses, rear brakes, fuel pump, sway bar bushings, u-joint, battery tray, valve cover gaskets, dash cover, & tailgate cable,(all new), added body trim, headlight bezels, hood replaced and color matched w/ clearcoat, stainless mirrors, tilt steering wheel, chrome step bumper w/ tow ball. 4 inch spring lift kit, 31x 10.5 tires, (will handle 35 inch tires),all fluids changed, newer paint/clearcoat, nice condition. I just put $900.00 in this truck in parts, not including my labor. ""

Guy put a new engine 15k miles ago. Rockers are starting to rust, but by no means are they in need of immediate replacement. What do you guys think? Any good specific questions I should ask him about the truck? Gonna hang my Blizzrd 760LT off it and see what she can do!

Blazer1.jpg

Blazer2.jpg

Blazer3.jpg

2. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Whats the underneath like behind the rear wheels?, this is often a problem area for severe rust on the K5's, Rockers are not hard to change.

These old blazers don't give you much grief, they'll take more than there share of abuse.

But you will probably need to modify the plow mount due to the lift kit.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Put a 9-2 V-XT on it, it'll be a weapon.

4. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Took a look at it today...

Looks good. Drivers side rocker is rusted through, but he patched it with some sheet metal on the inside. Tailgate is good and window works, no leaks in removable top. No rust on tailgate or in floor in back. Engine is rebuilt (used to be a 6 cylinder in orig. configuration. Now has a 350. Started right up with a little smoke, but not too much at all. Tranny has been rebuilt, but no real info on that at all other than it is a 12 bolt rear. 4 wheel drive works fine.

Here is the kicker! He has a 15yr old 7.5ft Boss V that will bolt right onto the Blazer (came off his old `80 chevy pickup). Plow looks ok. 2-3 rust holes just above the cutting edge in the moldboard, but the rest is in good shape and he is painting it as we speak.

So I figure that for $3100 (and I haven't even tried to negotiate anything with him yet) for a complete setup on a 79 Blazer that has never plowed before is not a bad idea.

Give me some thoughts on this guys. I need some input to make this decision! Thanks!

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Offer 4 grand with the plow

6. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

He only wants $3100 with the plow and he will install it!! $2200 for just the truck!

7. dchr

dchr Senior Member

For the price it's a no brainer-as mentioned those trucks can take a lot of abuse-I know from previous experience:rolleyes:

8. CAT 245ME

That blazer should have a 10 bolt front axle, 76 was the last year for the dana 44. The corporate 12 bolt is a good axle, much better than the rear 10 bolts.

These old solid axle chevy's give next to no trouble, but just look over the wiring harness such as under the hood, just make sure it isn't all patched together or it could give you trouble when you don't need it.

Do you have any idea what brand of lift kit is on the blazer.

9. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

No idea what kind of lift kit it is. I was going to lower the truck, but I may save the money this year and lower it later on as long as there is no need for any mods to get the plow brackets on. What I mean is, as long as the plow brackets fit without mods now, then I can lower it easy with a quick refit/re-level on the brackets later.

10. CAT 245ME

I wouldn't worry about the lift kit, I have a 85 K20, 8' Fisher and has Superlift 3.5" HD front springs (STIFF) that are made for the K30's and 3" blocks in the back. Wouldnt change it back to stock. Truck sits up like the new trucks do from the factory.

11. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I had a 90 k5...great to plow with and even better turning radius...

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I see the common denominator here now between your couple threads and the PM from today.

Buy it and get a set of wings on the vee, it will make an outstanding driveway rig. :nod:

13. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Thanks for any assistance. Still want your thoughts about the truck too when you get a chance!

Jeff

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If all the work was done correctly (no home brewed cobbled up surprises) it would be a tough truck to beat for the money. The 350 will run a long time and have plenty of power for pushing. The T-350 will live for years if a proper cooler is there and it isn't pounded like a rental car. It probably has an NP 203 T-case with a part time conversion kit (hence the "new" hubs) and the axles are plenty tough for plowing use. The main things on the Blazers was of course rust but it sounds like thats all ok and will live for years before that becomes an issue again.

Only expensive things to watch out for are any scary/butchered wiring or frame cracks. Any cobbled or unsafe wiring should jump out at you but be sure to visibly check the frame for cracks or previous repairs very carefully. Look around/behind where the steering box mounts, right where the motor mount plates attach to the main rails, and in the rear near the upper shock mounts. If it all looks acceptable then it's a good candidate and should reward you with good service for many years to come.

15. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Guy just called me and said the mounting brackets won't work on the blazer. The plow came off an 81 chevy pickup. With the 4" lift on the blazer, the sway bars get in the way. He said if we dropped it back to stock height he thought it would not be a problem....I am waiting for my Blizzard dealer to see what the mounts/wiring harness would cost for my Blizzard and if they would work without mods(guessing they won't work either)....Anyone have any knowledge on this..

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not uncommon on a lifted truck. Ditch the swaybar. Was always the first thing I did on all my solid axle trucks. Never ran one with a bar for more than the first two weeks I owned it. You'll notice no difference. Just be sure to re-install the two rear swaybar to frame bolts as they also connect the forward cross member to the frame rails.

But he'll still need to modify the mount since the truck is lifted as the mount will be too high if he doesn't. Certainly he realized that going in.

17. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

So basically, if I am not married to the 4" lift, then I can just get some stock leaf springs (maybe for a 3/4 ton) and lower the truck back down and it'll all hook up just fine.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

100% correct if you don't want it on there.

19. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

B&B,

What do you think about the 6.2L Diesels for plowing. Either the civilian or military ones. Far as I can tell, the civvy ones have all the extras, but don't have the 3/4 ton suspension kits. The military ones seem like they might make the perfect rig. No frills but pays the bills!

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Military Blazers make a great plow truck if you can find one in good shape. Which isn't always easy but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of the opportunity arose. The 6.2's aren't the most powerful engine but they'll normally run a long time if cared for and not excessively abused. The last one I had went 290K before blowing it's cookies.

And when it dies it's the perfect opportunity to swap in a gas engine. :nod: