1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1979 Jimmy 2wd to 4wd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by OldJimmy, Aug 28, 2002.

1. OldJimmy

OldJimmy Junior Member

I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I have access to a 1979 Jimmy 4x4. There is surface rust and some perforation but no major damage. However, someone has removed the transfer case and associated parts and installed a different tranny and set it up as 2WD only. The truck still has the front axle and hubs but only rear wheel drive. Is it worth it to chase up a transfer case and adapter and transmission, and drive shafts. I'm kinda wondering at what it might cost. I can do all the mechanical work myself. What other parts might I have to reinstall. Yeah I know I can look in a shop manual but I was hopin for some first hand info.
    Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

2. 78JimmyTS

78JimmyTS Junior Member
    from Canada

All I can say to this is....

If you plan on doing that, you're lucky it isn't a newer truck!!! You shouldn't have any trouble finding the parts. Just be prepared to do a gasket replacement, and get the transfer case from a wrecker you can take it back to if you get a dud. Beyond that, and I'm sure you already know this, make sure you get 'greasable' u-joints and check and see whether or not any 'modifications' were made that take any 'low-end' power out of the truck.

jimmy3(a).jpg