1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1979 GMc High Sieara

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MnM, Nov 8, 2005.

1. MnM

MnM Senior Member

Was wondering how good of a plow truck this would be. It has a 350, 3/4 ton axles and the leaf springs look good. Im planning on putting a 7.5' western on it. Any thoughts??

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If it is in good, useable, reliable intact condition, then it is an IDEAL plow truck. Tough as nails. Take it from someone who owns a few.

The rear end will be a 14 bolt, either full floater or semi-floater, the first being preferable (stronger). Either is a beefy axle.

The front will be most likely a 10 bolt corporate axle, same as a half ton but with heavier outer knuckles etc. and eight lugs. Could also be a Dana 44 but I think they were phased out around then. My '79 has the corporate axle.

Tranny could be either TH350 or 400, tcase either a 203 (full time) or 205 (part time).

The High Sierra was a mid-grade trim package.

The 7.5' Western will work fine, but it will also handle an 8'er, or consider wings on the 7.5 if you already own it.

3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

the truck will neverdie sure you will put money into it repairing things but the only thing to watch out for is that the cab is still going to make it. and not rusted out they all look good but you need to crawl undernieth and check the mounts and make sure they are still there

4. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Yep, basically the same parts that were on my '87 GMC 1-ton. That had a Fisher 8' with the steel snow-foil. The plow was HEAVY. Even with the heavier frame the 1-ton has it needed ballast if you wanted to go anywhere in 2WD. When I bought the truck I knew it had seen some hard use and I put it through some more, but it held up really well, except for the cab rusting.