1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1979 dodge ramcharger 318 lights and radio turn off

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by rayj, Dec 21, 2011.

1. rayj

rayj Junior Member

Help waitin for snow to come and just put a plow on my 79 dodge ramcharger 318. All the lights and radio turn off when i try to move plow up and dowm amd side to side. Is this because it only has a 65 amp altenator? should i go get the 100 amp altenator? before plow my lights would flicker bad and when give it gas lights get brighter. but when i give it gas while trying to move plow all lights and radio go off. please help!!!!!!! thank you
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

your powering the controller from the wrong spot in the fuse box. tap into the ignition switch for power,
  3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I'd say a new battery and alternator are in order, likely the draw from the plow motor is dropping the voltage low enough to kill the radio. I've had it happen a few times.
  4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

not sure if this is stock, I had a 79 power wagon with a 360 and 60amp alternator. I plowed with it for many years and never had problems. I'm not saying batt & alt aren't a problem they could be. Maybe the newer plows draw more current now then back in the 70's and earliy 80's. If you had electrical problems before the plow, by installing one you just made it more pronounced from needing more power.Try going with bigger wiring off the alt both + & - Because the truck is so old there could be other wiring problems.
  5. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Spend a littel cash and do the big 3. I wish I would not have sold my ramcharger I love that thing.

I love my Z
  6. wva

wva Member

go to madelectrical.com and check out the dodge amp gage fix then install 2nd batt than check out the head light on relay tech thats what I had to do . I have a 79 w150 mine would kill the motor when I ran the plow that sight has alot of tech stuff hope this helps
  7. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

X2 on the Ammeter fix and the Big 3. On my '87 RamCharger I had to add grounds to the dash to keep noise out of my aftermarket stereo.