1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1979 Chevy K20 with Western Conventional Plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by FFColburn, Nov 6, 2014.

1. FFColburn

FFColburn Junior Member

I posted this in the truck and repair forum as well. I have been plowing with my 79 Chevy for a number of years now and right at the end of last season I broke one of the thrust bars right at a spot that it has been fixed atleast 2 other times, so rather that patching it again I'm going to replace it and am not able to find the bars for a conventional mount anymore but after doing a little research and looking I ordered the bars that are for a uni-mount truck side that is designed for my truck in hopes that I can make them work in either the existing holes in the frame or by drilling new holes. I'm also hoping these will be a lot stronger than the other ones that have been used for about 20 or so years. Has anyone used uni-mount thrust bars on a conventional mount before? Looking to get ideas of how much if any additional work might need to be done if any. The installation picture show that the attach to the frame on the truck at the same spot as my current ones right at the bump stops for the springs.
  2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

here is a link to western website with the diagram fro your mount. i'm guessing it's part number 3 or 4 on the image found on page 2? you can call up a dealer with the western part number given and see what they say, or search for it on the internet. very unlikey that part is used on a unimount setup - but i guess there is a chance.

sounds like you already spent the money on the unimount parts - hopefully they get you close. but if you do not do metal work, then your best would have been to have a metal shop fabricate new ones for you.
  3. FFColburn

FFColburn Junior Member

I know that they aren't the same part, mine are made anymore. Here is the link to the unimount ones I did order. There really doesn't appear to be much if any difference in them, that is why I ordered them. I know I can make them work was just wondering with how much trouble. I don't think very much.
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/13596_103103.pdf Parts 2 and 3 on the first page.
  4. redfeathercat

redfeathercat Junior Member

My name is Greg. I am mounting a western st78 on a 1978 Chevy Bonanza. I was wondering if it might be possible if you could send me pics of the mount on your 1979 Chevy. I am a good fabricator and am quite sure I can build a good strong mount, having pictures of a functioning mount would help a great deal.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer.
  5. FFColburn

FFColburn Junior Member

I hope these help with what you are doing, these are all of the pictures I took of my build process.

6. redfeathercat

redfeathercat Junior Member

Thanks very much. I was thinking about boxing the frame of my truck. Have you had any issues with the front frame horns being week?
  7. FFColburn

FFColburn Junior Member

No after you get everything all bolted in there is actually very little stress on the frame horns except when actually lifting the plow but the weight transfer is nice after it is up. The only problem I have had is I broke one thrust bar plowing through heavy frozen slush on a driveway that had not been plowed all winter that had been fixed at least once already before I bought the plow. I ended up replacing both of those with the bars off of a newer style plow.