1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1978 or 1979 F150?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by BEER TIME, Jul 28, 2011.

1. BEER TIME

BEER TIME Member

Im looking at these trucks for my plow truck. My questions is this truck to light for a 8.5 boss v-plow? Is there any mods I can do for the front end or should I be looking for a f250? Thanks for the help!

2. tuna

tuna Senior Member

To light,those things nose dive with a 7.5 on them.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Way too light duty for a big plow. Being that old it would need the springs and shocks replaced to begin with. The mount may not even fit the frame that year range. A F-150 should run a light duty 7.5' plow. Anything more your overloading the truck. You can put a big plow on, but it's not safe and it will wear out/break stuff quickly!

4. BEER TIME

BEER TIME Member

Well right now I have a 96 f250 that the tranny is going out of it, so I'm looking into an older ford with a straight axle. Would the older f250's make a good plow truck, I figure easy to work on and cheaper to fix. Any advice I would hate to spend around 1500.00 to fix the truck I have.

5. MickiRig1

I have a bunch of experience with the early 80's trucks. They have problems that can become money pits. They have feed back carbs that have a bunch of $75 module's and solenoids.Will not run right with out being repaired or replaced. They chew thru ignition modules, the heat of plowing kills them. Most times the scan tool will not work on them. The plug gets all crudded up, no longer connects! A lot of parts are really NO LONGER AVAILABLE ANYWHERE! The harmonic balancer on the engine will no longer be "in time". The rubber slips because the pulley rusts out. It's a REAL JOY to get off ! Been there, sweared a lot! Might think about biting the bullet and fixing the more modern truck.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Thirty plus year old trucks are not reliable enough for commercial snow removal operations. As for the fifteen hundred to fix the existing unit, you will spend that and more setting the older truck up to handle the plow. then you will have a lot of money in a old unit that is tough to get parts for. I would fix the transmission in the truck you have now or buy a newer truck.

7. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

put the $1500 in the tranny of the '96...my vote

8. BEER TIME

BEER TIME Member

Ok guys I know your leaning towards the new tranny but theres a guy that wants to trade his 1975 f250 thats built up pretty good. I figure the parts are way cheaper and easier to fix myself. Also I only do my 1300 ft driveway and sometimes the gravel to get to work. I know I can get the mount to work with some fab work but what else would have to be done with the suspension or otherwise. are you guys worried that this thing would handle plowing in general? Thanks again for all your help

9. MickiRig1

Most of us are geared to spanking a truck all season plowing snow. So an older truck can be scary! Finding parts can be a real challenge. It's so old that stuff may not be available right away. You would get the "We can have it on Tuesday" from AutoZone. But it's Wednesday today! You get that old of a truck now you have points, drum brakes all around and a carb to deal with. Think long and hard about making that trade.If all else look at the truck real hard and make sure stuff is not leaking or rusted out. No scary noises when you drive it or stop.