1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1978 gmc dually question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jslawncare, Dec 9, 2008.

1. jslawncare

jslawncare Member

Hi 1st post. Site looks very informative....

im trying to find out if a plow for sale locally will fit my 1978 GMC Sierra Classic 35 Dually Dump

the plow is from the same exact truck but its a 1983 (i never saw the truck personally, but i tend to beleive the guy because i found the plow by seeing the truck advertised on craigslist for sale with or without plow)

both 2 wheel drive
    the plow setup is a diamond with a e60 pump

ive been to the local plow shop and all i can get is "it looks like it should fit"...no definite answer.

does anybody know what years the frame changed or anything like that.

2. jslawncare

jslawncare Member

i can attach pics if that would help

3. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

a plow from an 83 should fit your 79 just fine.

4. jslawncare

jslawncare Member

its a 78 but im thinking its the same answer...thanks

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

only real diffrence is you might need a shim/washer between frame ears and plow frame to make it bolt flush with no squeze .

my 78 k30 4x4 has a fisher plow from a 85ish. only thing fisher said was install washer to take up 1/16" play each side.

other diffrence is 73-80 had 1 style bumper . 81-up had other. and took diffrent brackets.

goo luck with the swap over its easy.

6. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I used a Fisher from an 85 on my 78 no problems other than drilling a couple of holes. so the frames are the same distances apart if that helps

7. mmtwin

mmtwin Member

Chevy frames from 78-88 were all the same. Only thing you may need to drill a few holes in mount.

8. jslawncare

jslawncare Member

what about 2 and 4 wheel any difference there

9. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

The differences shouldn't be too drastic. Might need a welder and some plate but thats about it

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

frame rails bare same other than diffrent holes here and there.

but once factory 2x4 or 4x4 is rivited on there is a lot diffrent.

11. jslawncare

jslawncare Member

i contacted diamond(meyer) they say they didnt make a plow for the 2 wheel version of my truck and the frames are totally different.

12. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

they're wrong. 2wd and 4wd frames are the same where the lift frame mounts are the same. the body mount is slightly different, but only on the back half of it. the rear supports are going to be a problem, since where they mount on the rails is occupied by the 2wd front crossmember.

13. jslawncare

jslawncare Member

well right or wrong the plow kit from them for my truck dont fit....somethings different. it hits the front sway bar and the pitman arm.

14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Like he said, the front half will fit where it picks up bumper mounts etc. but the rear supports will be totally different.

15. jslawncare

jslawncare Member

ya think it could fit with a little persuasion a welder and some torches..LOL

16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Of course! ;)

I have a Ford mount on my GMC... and a Dodge mount on my Chevy.... :D