1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1978 Ford F-250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mtman, Aug 13, 2008.

1. mtman

mtman Junior Member
    from Montana

I'm new to the forum and am working on a 1978 Ford F-250. Did they have snow plow prep packages on this truck? And if so, what exactly did it consist of? This truck has a western plow on it and has cracked the front spring hangers and frame slightly up front. I can weld it up, but would like to find out if anyone makes a frame reinforcement kit before I have to fab something up. The frame overall is stout, but right up front is not the best for handling a plow. I'm also thinking about adding a full length add-a-leaf.

My second question is that is there are place to buy plow brackets and setups for older trucks? I'd like to upgrade to a V-plow possibly.

Thanks for any and all help.

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Well you won't be able to get any mounts for that truck. Western only goes back to 1980. Now I will go to say, I know of a 1976 F-250 supercab 6.9 diesel with a western MVP 8.5' with custom western pro plus wings mounted to it. It belongs to a friend of mine. Its was his play toy. I helped in the plow mount build and some of the 6.9 diesel swap. I will try to find the pictures for it.

3. snord

snord Junior Member

Yes, the main thing was a heavier-duty Dana 60 front axle and probably higher spring ratings. Battery/alternator, etc. that were part of it don't mean much anymore.

The frames are plenty strong; just weld up what you have and make sure when you hit a curb, you're going less than 10 mph;)

Good idea, but not absolutely necessary. I run a 7.5' unimount on a 78 F250 with stock leaf springs and it does fine. I'm also outfitting a 8.5' v-plow on my other 78 and thankfully it has an additional leaf in the front because they are a lot heavier.

Western makes a universal unimount kit that will adapt to older Fords (pre-1980) but you have to find it used or on someone's shelf somewhere. There is a guy on ebay who had one but wants $500 for it. I was fortunate to find one used. I also have a truck outfitted with a Fisher conventional plow which I found on ebay with mounts for a 77.5-79 F250/F350. You won't find anything currently available new as the other fella said, but if you're patient they are out there used. Keep your eye on ebay; they do come up now and then.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Post a "wanted ad" on the classifieds here and on craigslist.