1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1978 Chevy 3/4 ton w/ Western 7.5

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by JimRoss, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

1978 3/4 ton 350 C.I. 4bbl. 3 speed auto. I'm told it has a bulletproof transfer case. Front hub lockouts. 4x4 works fine.
    New parts are:
    Fuel tank ( $200 installed )
    4bbl carb Remanufactured $190 ( last Aug )
    dual batteries $150 ( 1 year old now )

Plow is a Western cable type 7.5
    New electric motor and fliud pump ( $260 for parts )
    Works great!

Truck starts no problem ( just gotta pump it, if it sets a day ). Warms up and starts to backfire.

When I bought it, the guy said it needed a brakeline replaced. We put fluid in it, so I could drive it home 30 miles. I never bothered to fix it, because it was a yard truck.

Loud exhaust. 1 muffler fell off. Again, yard truck so I didnt bother to replace it.

My health isn't up to working on it, so I bought a new plow for my new truck and selling this. It hasnt been on the road for the 3 years I have owned it ( plowed my drive only ).

$1000 firm.
    Please dont try to lowball me. I have invested about $800 in parts, in the last year or so.

[​IMG]

Tomarrow, I'll gets a couple pics of the new carb and batteries.
    My zip code is 48625 ( Harrison, Mi )

2. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Some more of the plow too please!
    Lost of pics would be great!
    Is it road worthy?

3. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

I cant honestly say it's road worthy, as I haven't had it on the road in 3 years. I drove it home, 30 miles, no problem. And needs a brake line, so I'm not sure I would drive it on the road, without repairing it first.

I'll get a video of the plow working and the truck running, tomarrow.

4. rusty_keg_3

But if the brake line was fixed? Would it be?

What else dose it need to be used on the road and to plow? And be reliable...

5. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Love it. Money maker right there. 3-4 hours and she is paid for.

6. rusty_keg_3

Thats what im thinking... I already have a new truck, (09 silverado 3500)... But it never hurts to have a back up/ maybe project truck...

7. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

I stated it's backfiring. I'm not sure if I have something adjusted wrong when I put the new carb on or what. Didnt backfire before. Also, if you want to plow, you'll need new tires. It does fine on my yard, but I wouldnt trust driving in traffic with them.

Your not getting a ready to roll commercial plow equipment, thats why it's $1,000. I just want to recoup some of my investment. It runs, and plows, but needs a little tlc. It's a 1978, for god sakes..LOL

I personaly would trailer it home, as far as you live from me.

8. rusty_keg_3

Yea, I would trailer it anyway... But i might sell my 89 c1500... And buy a diff project... but im only 18, so i dont kno what a western with the cables is... lol

9. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

Its a cable driven plow motor. Not electronic, like the new plows are. Cable from the joystick turns the lever on the plow pump housing, directing the pump to turn left, up, down, ect.

10. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

Video of the truck, with motor running. I show the new carb and the 2 new batteries:
    avi video, 20 megs

Video of the plow working:
    avi video, 3 megs

The program I was using to convert, sped the video up about 2x speed.

I am willing to seperate the plow from the truck. You remove everything ( except batteries ) needed for the plow..... $600.

11. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

no interest?

12. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

I have a guy locally who wants just the truck for $500. Anyone interested in taking the plow setup off for $500?

13. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Jim send me pics in a PM. Thanks, Chris

14. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

2 videos of the truck, a couple messages up. I dont have any other pics right now,

15. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Vids dont work for me....I tried. Just need pics of plow if you are selling truck. May have a friend interested but need pics to show him.

16. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

I'm selling both. Just willing to separate if needed. I'll try and gets some pic's up in a couple hours.

17. stunter2boy79

stunter2boy79 Member

ahh would luv to pick up the truck but no way to get it till spring though. i love the older chevys, would look good next to my 80 k5

18. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

Pic's requested:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

20. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

3rd day bump

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.