1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1977 to 1998 truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by firefighter, Jun 5, 2003.

1. firefighter

firefighter Member
    from Ohio

Ok, I have been plowing with a 1977 chevy 1/2 ton short bed 4x4 truck from 1977 to last winter. I just purchased a 1998 3/4 ton heavy duty long bed 4x4 chevy. I plowed with a boss V blow on my old truck. I transfered the plow to the 1998. My questions are, I always plowed in low range with the 1977 ( transmission shop said to) will I have to plow in low or high range with the 1998. How about traction compared from the 1977 to 1998 ? The 1977 had a locker in the rear end and the 1998 has possie.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Your new truck should do just fine in hi range,unless the snow is really deep,wet,or heavy.If you have to push it hard,use lo range.

The traction should be about the same,as the posi will work just as well as the locker in your old truck.The longer wheelbase help traction as well.
  3. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

You might want to put some ballast in that 98 to make her work better and level out the truck when you travel, and wind up the torsion bars. Timbrens might be a good idea also.
  4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Chevy dosnt make a posi for the trucks anymore. A posi is a limited slip with a clutch pack or cone.

You have a locker but it is efectionatly known as the gov lock :rolleyes: It is a locker but not really. It dosnt have all the clutchpack to tranfer power, it has all this mechanical mumbo jumbo that works 1/2 assed at best. If you have a real locker like a detroit and have one wheel in the air it will still try to turn both wheels. A gov locks bias is easily overcame. I'm not saying it dosnt work just not as well as a true locker. They are also more failure prone but they arnt as bad about blowing chunks in the bigger axels as in the 10 bolts. Alot of people refer to them as gov bombs in 10 bolts.

If you are stuck and have 1 wheel spinning try applying the ebrake or the regular brakes. This will decrease the bias(if you got one wheel on ice say and one wheel on nice dry pavement) and hopefully get it to engauge and do its thing, hopefully. Make sure your wheels arnt are spinning. This can cause the locker to engue in a rapid fasion and cause a kinda bang and its not real healthy on things. Wait till the tires stop, aply the brake and ease onto the go pedal.

The gov lock works just not as well as other lockers. Since its not a posi it dosnt require the friction modifier. Just some 75-90w(I believe) synthetic. Get some mobil 1, the GM stuff will cost you about 80$ to change. Forget the lubed for life crap too. I would drain it ASAP out the bottom and refill her since it probably hasnt been changed in its life.

This is as long as someone didnt put an aftermarket unit in there.......

4HI unless you are struggling, the 4l80e(wich you should have) is a beefy unit. A trans temp gauge and a deeper sump pan might be a nice feature. Should have a big cooler factory on it.......

What motor?

This is mostly JMO, take it for what its worth........
  5. GLS

GLS Senior Member

True, but arn't we talking about a 98? My truck has a limited slip, and I think 98 was still old body style, unless they changed the rears before the new body style.
  6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I'm not sure when they stopped puting posi in trucks but they have been using gov locks for a long time. 98's would have em. Had one in my 97. Dont know when they made the switch from posi to gov lock, maybe the switch from 12 bolt to 10??? Someone else might know the exact switch over but it has been awhile......

A gov lock is still a kind of limited slip, its just not a clutch type. It will pretty much act like a "posi" Posi is Chevys trade name from the muscle car days for a clutch type limited slip. Dodge had thier name and ford had theirs just most people all call it a posi. Its kinda like Klenex. Most people have never heard of suregrip....

All posi's are limited slips but not all limited slips are posi's