1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1977 through ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by firefighter, Feb 4, 2003.

1. firefighter

firefighter Member
    from Ohio

My question is this, I have a 1977 chevy 4x4 350 short bed. Whats the latest year truck that the engine, transmission, transfer case, springs, bed, doors, fenders and etc from my truck will fit. Im thinking a 1986 or 1987 short bed ?

Thanks

Firefighter:confused: :confused:

2. M.C.A.

M.C.A. Member
    from WI

1987 is the last year for that body style for a pickup. The transfer case is aluminum and GM put the fuel injected engine in the 1987 before the body change in 1988. If your using the the 1977 engine, trans & transfer case I think up to 1986 you would be ok for the correct wiring.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

The drivetrain will swap no problem up to 87.Some body parts will,and some won't.Here is where ito go to find out,save me typing it all here,thanks to chuck.

Body parts list

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Thanks wyldman. :drinkup:

It gets a little tricky when you get into doors and fenders (you didn't mention cab). Yes the doors and fenders will fit up to 87, but you would have to make some modifications. The hoods changed in 81, so you would have to make some mods there as well.

IF you swapped the cab too (basically the entire 77 body), then it is all bolt on, no real mods. Make sure you take the trans/t-case cross member from the 77 to mount on the newer chassis. Unless your truck has a lift kit, it would be easier to just swap the axles rather than get into swapping springs. Springs in an 87 should have a lot more "spring" than those in a 77.

Additionally, 81 - 89 one ton trucks, and 81 - 91 Suburbans, and full size Blazers use the same chassis. Only the 10 and 20 series trucks ended in 87.

~Chuck