1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1977 F250 Transfer case HOT!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Kaptain_Kurt, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Taking my new (old!) plow rig out last night to see how she runs and one thing that concerned me was how hot the transfer case is getting. Had it in 2WD and man the bottom of the stick shift was almost too hot to touch. That can't be good. I'm thinking it's got to be old or more likely low fluid. Any guesses?
    thanks,

Kaptain_Kurt

2. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Maybe its just too close to the exhaust. If it was heating up like that due to gears alone, it would seize up pretty quiclkly. First indication would be that its impossible to shift. Then would come the noise.

3. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Hmmm, good idea. Truth is, the exhaust pipes only go back about 3' from the manifolds and end right about at the transfer case, although off to the side of it. That certainly could be it. A new exhaust is first on the list, so we'll see if that takes care of it.

Thanks,

~kurt

4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Change that T-case fluid too for a safe measure.

5. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Duh, I didn't notice that the hubs were unlocked and the stick was in 4low. Got the hubs locked and the Tcase back in high and it seems to be fine.

6. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

not to sound like an ass but ho can you not notice when you are in 4x4low? in my 78 bronco (400 C6 205) it would SCREAM in low range

7. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

You still want to add that exhaust, even though you solved the t-case heat problem. You'll get a headache in no time from the fumes while going back and forth. Not so noticable going down the road.