1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1976 Tailgate question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by steven1213, Apr 25, 2008.

1. steven1213

steven1213 Junior Member

I have a 1976 Chevy and I am looking at buying a tailgate that fits 1973-75 models.According to the seller, there might be a problem with the hinges which hold the tailgate level with the bed when you open it. He said when you go to close it that it may bind and not let you shut it all the way if you try it on later year models. Has anyone ever experienced this problem and if I switched the hinges from the tailgate of my current truck, would that resolve the problem or are the position of the mounts on the tailgate different? I never thought there was a difference with those years. any help is appreciated.---------Steve
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Steve do you know which style tailgate your truck has?

The '73-'76 would be the 1st design, and the '76-up would of course be the 2nd design. As you can see, '76 was the change over year so you could have either one. You can use the 2nd design on a 1st design truck if you use the 2nd design hardware as well.

But a 1st design won't directly fit on a 2nd design truck as it has an extra set of alignment tabs near the top of the tailgate that are received by two slots in the bedside. You can however either add the notches to the bedsides (not easy to do and get a factory look), or cut the alignment tabs off the gate. A little butch but it will work. If you want it right then you'll want the correct gate to begin with.
  3. steven1213

steven1213 Junior Member

Tailgate Question

Thanks for the info B&B. I am not as concerned about rust as I am about function with this truck since it has more than it's fair share of rust and dents. I will see how it matches up when I go and look at it. By the way, thanks for the help when I was installing my motor from the wrecking yard. The truck runs great now. I am just trying to get everything fixed so it is functional and everything works. It has been fun to work on actually.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to hear the engines working good for you Steve. Happy to help.

Good luck with the tailgate.

And "having fun with it" is one of the best attributes to owning a old/classic truck. At least it should be.

I like the newer stuff with all it's modern technology and amenities but I'll never give up my oldies in order to have it. Ask anyone who's owned one but no longer does. They'll tell you their "old truck" war stories....with a smile on their face. :)
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Look up : LMC Truck on the INTERNET and order the catalog. You can get all kinds of OEM and Non-OEM parts for your truck. Like my Ford it was $100 for a non-logo tail gate. The one with FORD printed on it was like $300 !