1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1976 Chevy C20 conventional mount to 1989 Ford F150

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by John Chisum, Nov 25, 2008.

1. John Chisum

John Chisum Junior Member

Well I am going to make a mounting bracket to fit a mark III conventional mount for a 1989 Ford F150 from an existing mount on a 1976 Chevy 3/4 ton. I would like anyone who has any wisdom or insight to feel free to beat me death with negativity... Wow did I say that, what I meant was I am open to your years of valuable experience and input.
    Thanks,
    A guy with a blade, truck, and a big torch and welder with a shitload of ambition and drive.

My friends call me John

:)

I will update with the pictures and fabrication process if and only if anyone cares?

I am taking this off of here:
    [​IMG]

and putting it here:
    [​IMG]

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You can still get mounting instructions for the conventionals off westerns site, find the one for the ford so you can see where and how they are bolting things up.

3. John Chisum

Thanks, I did that I have both the directions for the Ford and the Chevy. The guy who owns the Chevy drove it over to my house it's in my carport now. He said call him when I get everything off the truck I want and he'll come get it out of here. Looks like the plow was put on the truck new. I will be cutting all bolts today or friday as I pulled blade and cleaned it up last night.

4. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

how you making out? I got an old 80's western plow that i'm going to try and mate to a 2002 GMC Sierra 3500 dually. Truck frame rails are 5" too wide from looking at it. Keep the pics comin'!

5. John Chisum

Thats the issue I am having as the 89 Ford is 44 inches and that old Chevy is 31 inches. I am going to torch off the entire front end and mod it, bumper and all to the front of the Ford.
    This is the front frame rails of the Chevy.
    [​IMG]

The Ford frame rails are about 13 inches wider and I have to remember to keep the "A" level and at the correct height to eliminate any digging action and/or blade flopping.

Uggh I am not having any luck so far even extensive amounts of heat. I may just CUT everything off. The guy did say he would come get the old truck with a tow-truck...

6. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

I was thinking of welding some heavy gauge square metal tubing to the ears on the plow harness to make up the difference. Course you have 13" to make up. My welder/mechanic is coming over tomorrow to have a look at this rig and then we'll see what we can fabricate. When we get started I'll post pics.

7. John Chisum

Well I only ended up cutting off two bolts after all. I have it removed from the Chevy. It only took a couple of hours with help.

Thanks to my dad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will start the fabrication process on Monday morning. I'll update with more information Monday night.

8. John Chisum

Great. 1-3 inches by 6AM and 1-3 more by Sunday night. And my fabricator is out of town until Monday.

9. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

well seems your makin progress! I got mine all mounted up. I inserted 3"x3" square steel tubing heavy wall into the end of the frame rails on the truck and bolted them up. Then when I put the plow harness/pump frame up to the truck the 3"x3" fit nicely on the outside of the plow harness. So I just welded it to the tubing. I"ll post pics later. Now my biggest problem is my control cables are too short and I have to McGyver my light wiring. I"m getting so frustrated because I just wanna start plowing! We got loads of snow over here!

10. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

That F150 it look exact what I have but paint fade and rusty. What motor in that?

I would interested see how you mount on F150 since we have same mount but it from 84 Bronco.

What bolts you plan use for mount to F150's frame? 8 grade bolt? I couldn't find that big bolt at home depot.

Did you upgrade front spring coil? If it sag so bad with plow on it then upgrade to F250 or F350 2wd front spring coil.

11. John Chisum

Well The plow is on, but is not wired yet. My cables are long enough and good. I have almost a complete wiring harness stripped from the Chevy and I will be setting it up and wiring the selenoid tommorow. My A frame is level at 10 1/4". I went to Des Moines Iron and got all the grade 8 bolts I needed and my 1/2" thick cold rolled steel. We ended up cutting up the old chevy arms and making brackets out of them.
    Front of the Ford:
    [​IMG]
    New frame mount:
    [​IMG]
    Attached/side:
    [​IMG]
    Front:
    [​IMG]
    We reinforced the lower crossmember with 1/2" thick steel bar and we are going to be doing a little more welding just for rigidity near the bottom.

12. John Chisum

It has a 302 with a 5 speed, There is already a heavy duty suspension on it but I have located a donor F250 if I need it. Picked up my new selenoid last night and will be doing the wiring today...Hopefully.

13. John Chisum

I am done for today. I hooked up the solenoid today, and put the blade on.Everything works very well I am actually surprised for the amount of money invested. Hard work and great friends always prevail.
    [​IMG]

Not much sag at all.
    [​IMG]

It appears to be a Rancho dual shock HD spring front suspension(was there already), hard to see in the picture sorry about that.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. John Chisum

Okay I have to say thanks for a few more things.
    1. My wife who tells me everyday "Do what makes you happy".
    2. My fabricator/welder/best friend Michael.
    3. My dad, without his advice I may have bought something other than a Ford and a Western

Sorry for being sappy but credit owed must be given.

15. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

your rig looks awesome!! Good job! I was out plowing last night until about ten at night....i thought plowing was simple job but to make the job look nice...you really gotta loook at the layout before you start pushing!! I've plowed with tractors and loaders before and its a totally different ball game.
    How does your rig push? Looks like it will be very manouverable as well! Nice job!

16. John Chisum

Added some iron to front ends and now it is bolted into the original bolt holes.
    [​IMG]

Second we added more iron to the bottom height adjusters for rigidity.
    [​IMG]

Wired the lights up, and then we got a 1/4-1/2" of ice followed by almost 2" of snow. tried it out on a couple of driveways and initial tests are all good.
    [​IMG]

17. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Hope you can take a little criticism, I dont think what you have fabbed up for a thrust arm will work. It appears to be in to much of a vertical position and not really adding any lateral support. Something off the outside of the mount back to the frame in the area over the axle might be a good idea since that the way western engineered it originally

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Did you look at any of the manufacturers install sheets for your Truck? i suggest you take a look at a couple of them and go back to the shop before pushing too much snow.

Here's the link to one
    http://www.meyerproducts.com/upload/forms/17081 Mtg. 1-615 R5.pdf

Note the rear thrusters. I strongly suggest you consider adding something similar before pushing snow with the existing mount.

19. John Chisum

Thanks very much for the input.
    The angle of the thrust arms have me a little concerned as well due to not having the support near the outside. We have reinforced the crossmember with 1" steel for the "vertical" supports (as they are being referred to in a previous post). We have also reinforced the height adjust. The problems I have found with the thrust arms on the outside is.
    1. I cannot locate any factory ones for this truck, I looked everywhere and the local dealership told me as soon as I asked about a conventional mount, that they were no longer being marketed not even parts of the kits.
    2. This vehicle has a 4" lift and 35x12.50 tires on it (tires would turn into original lateral thrust arms) and even if I were to have the originals they would need modification anyway.

I did download the files for the correct "Western" mounts for both the ford and the chevy prior to starting and we came up with this design. It is after all an experiment with fabrication and all advice is taken under consideration. It is a work in progress.

If anyone has any photos of an existing mount on an 89 Ford that would be great. I am open to change.

This vehicle is just being used mostly for residential driveways.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  20. John Chisum

Well 1st night is in the bag (3"-4"). Three parking lots and five driveways. Pushes good, no complaints and no issues.