1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1974 C20 Dually 2WD 350/TH350 Plow?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 74ChevDually, Mar 6, 2009.

1. 74ChevDually

74ChevDually Junior Member
    from Indiana

I bought a 1974 C20 Dually 2wd with the original motor and trans with only 64,000 miles on it! (Nope not 164,000) The truck appeared to have set a long time when I got it. I bought the truck to pull my drag car but my wife wants to plow snow with it.
    That's right my wife wants to plow snow in the winter for something to do an a little extra cash.
    Can you guys help me out with what to look for in a plow for this thing. I am sure I will need weight in the back for this. I have a good friend that owns a chassis fabrication shop so can get anything made up that I might need for this.

Any help and or guidance is appreciated!:)

1974 Chevy 3/4 Ton Dually 350/TH350
    Tires: 215/R85/16 (There are stud provisions on the back tires at least that is what I was told the little holes where for...LOL)
  2. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

First of all, you've got to post up a pic of your truck.

Second, weight is your friend. My truck is loaded down with a welder and a whole bunch of tools. I am able to plow in 2 wheel drive. the only time I use 4x4 is when I change locations because the roads are so bad.

Third, You need to get some good tires on that thing. I use bfg all terrains on my truck right now but the guys I plow with all run some sort of mud tire. I'll be switching to these when my current set of tires wears out because I have seen first hand how well they work.

As far as a plow goes, we run westerns. The guys I plow with have been using them for years and can trouble shoot any problem with them in an instant. They also have enough back up parts to completely rebuild one, should the need arise, anywhere, anytime. Also, we have dealers close by who stock replacement parts for these plows.

These are all my opinions so take them as such. good luck on whatever you decide and read up, there's a lot of valuable information here.
  3. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I'd like to see a pic of the truck as well.

I didnt think GM built a 3/4 ton dually (73-87) unless it was a swap job.
  4. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

chances are you wont be able to mount a new plow (as in brand new, or anything really recent) on that truck. You'll probably have to find an older style used plow. And what kind of plowing are you thhining of? Roads, lots, driveways? Small projects like putting a plow on an old truckfor some extra cash can turn into sometihng a little bigger once you factor in all the costs.(http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=766550#post766550) And yes, the insurance is important even though it will be your biggest cost. not tryin to be a buzz kill or anything, but yah know
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2009

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

C20, dually, with a TH350? Something doesn't add up. Like all 3 things listed