1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1973 Jeep J-4800 1-ton Diesel/Dump bed Vee blade

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by COLOFIREMAN, Sep 10, 2010.

1. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

I've been working on a project for a while and now have all the parts to put it together and thought I would share. Living up at 7000 Ft in the mountains of Colorado, we get some snow. But nothing like they do just a couple thousand feet up on the hills. This is what I'm building this for. The weekender second home owners that come up twice a season and wait until the last minute to get their driveway open.

Here's the old plow set-up that used for many years..
    [​IMG]

Lots of beating the flat blade against the hard snow has taken it toll.

2. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

I started with a flat bed. I liked the look of it but I knew I would've made it into a dump bed. It needed a lot of work to make it a dump, so I sold it to a guy that needed it for his truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

Then I thought it would be a great idea to use a service bed due to the weight advantage it would give.

I found a guy here in the valley that was selling this one for a very good price......
    [​IMG]

So I tried to mount it on the tuck but I was going to have to modify it a lot to work. As one can see I will have to clearance the rear box 3'X5'X5' to make room for the rear spring movement. Also the reason for the box being so high is due to the fact that the truck has a 3-inch body lift on it. I'm going to have to build a superstructure in the front and rear to mount the box solid.

[​IMG]

Here's what it looked like at that point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

I then came across a Vee blade for $500.00 that a old guy was using on the front of his bobcat. Never had it worked up, just carried it in front of his bobcat to open his driveway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

With the addition of the much heavier plow, I will now need to install a heavier front axle...

In the form of 69 Dodge W300 front and rear DANA 70'S!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The pictures don't do this axle justice, so I put a 1/2 Ford 9-inch in the picture.

[​IMG]
    Then the axle tubes are monsterous!!! That's my size 10 work boot on it for conparison.

[​IMG]

6. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

Since I'm going to need to carry weight I plan change the truck over to dually. Here are the rims I found for the truck. I've never seen this type of steel chrome dually rims before. They should clean up nicely with some steel wool and polish. Not bad for $125.00 for all 6 with tires! I plan to run Swamper Truxs 255/85/16R M/T's all around. Since I have four already in good shape all I have to do is buy two more.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love what steel wool, Mothers polish, and a drill with a polishing wheel can do!!!!!

[​IMG]

After cleaning up one of the rears I just had to mock it up to see what it looks like.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  7. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

I already upgraded the rear to the Dana 70HD dually. It has 4:10's and a open carrier, the gears look good, and the pinion has no slop. Not bad for $50.00 bucks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the way this thing is looking with the duals poking out back.
    [​IMG]

8. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

So as it was, a local tractor shop needed to build a service truck. They offered to buy the service bed I had. Before I agreed I started looking for another one that would fit a dually.
    During a search on-line I came across this.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

....now after a 7 hour turn around from Delta and $800.00 cash, I have a running driving 73' Dodge dually with a working dump bed. So the plan is pull the dump bed off and place it on the 73' J4800.

9. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

So this is a much older and well used example of what I'm working towards.

[​IMG]

I plan to sandblast the bed and paint it black. And this is the truck that I've been using as focus for the build, with a little Photo-shopping

[​IMG]

and few more fine examples taken from this great page!!!

I'd love to put a side wing on it like this some day for pushing snow past the culvert without getting stuck in it.
    [​IMG]

And this is the truck that started me on this mission. I've always loved the way it looked.

[​IMG]

10. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

I REALLY can't wait to see the final results. Keep the pictures coming!ussmileyflag

11. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

thats a crazy amount of time, effort and money to put into that! but it is VERY COOL!

12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That is a realy neet prodgect you don't se many people do. I can't wait to se it when it's done.

13. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

thats a real cool truck. so thats a dana 70 front axle? you sure its not a 60? i see its a closed knuckle.

really interested to see how it ends up.

14. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

I had to run the axle numbers to be sure but it is a Dana 70 with 4:10's

BTW, I forgot to ad engine I plan to use. I would like to use a 6BT non after-cooled version from a 89 through 91 and a TF727 3-speed. Since the truck uses a TH400 now I think a TF 727 would work as well. That swap will be after the snow season because I have a 4BT Cummins already to put in my 88' Grand Wagoneer.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  15. COLOFIREMAN

COLOFIREMAN Member

I found this plow mount design a while ago. I plan to use a lot of the good points in my mount. It will give me the ability to use a side wing in the future.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To limit stress on the front of the frame, I plan to mount the pivot point of the side wing in the middle of the frame like this....

[​IMG]

16. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Tractor blower might be a better tool for the job lol
    But your ride will be way sweeter.
    You've obviously put a lot of thought and effort into your build so far.
    Looking forward to more updates

17. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

Very excited to see the finished result, you definitely have a lot of talent and vision! Best of luck with the project!

- Dan

18. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

subscribing

19. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Subscribed, I love seeing people build something to exactly what they are looking for, Its what ive done with my truck. Cant wait to see what yours looks like all done!

20. skimastr105

skimastr105 Member

subscribed - looks like an awesome build.