1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1970 C-50 Chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by T. Matthews, Jul 9, 2003.

1. T. Matthews

T. Matthews Junior Member

Hey Everyone,

Well I bought a c 50 cehvy dump. It has 35000 orginal miles and is in awsome shape for the year. I'll be doing some general maintenace stuff on it this week end and hopefully have it on the road by the end of the month. I can beleive how smooth and quiet it is. Any comments or ideas for it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

T. Matthews

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Give more details about how it is equipped and I may have some information. I've got a 71 GMC 5500, same beast, different logo. Specific information, GVW, engine, trans,single or two speed rear. If you got lucky and still have the sticker on the glove box door there are some codes there which might be important.

3. T. Matthews

Hi Alan,

I believe it is 24000 GVW. Straight 6 243 engine I think. It does have the split rear end, but right now only low works because the vacum assist isn't hooked up. The previous owner put new hydraulic brakes in it and disconnected the assist.It 's a four speed with a granny gear. The owners manual is still in it that is showing the age worst than the truck. There codes in the glove box a little worn but still readable.

4. T. Matthews

Hey everyone!

The truck should be on the road by weeks end. I just waxed it and added air horns to it. It is in incredible shape for the year. Does anyone one know if this truck has regular rims or split rims for the year. How can you tell the difference.

5. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

If they are similar to the split rims on my 3/4 ton, its very easy to see the type of wheel. There is a steel wheel in the center (as usual) and then an outer rim (about 1-2 inches wide) is snapped on underneath the the outer edge of the steel wheel. The outer rim has a split/break at one point in its circumference
    To dismount these rims you first deflate the tire, and then use a rubber hammer or a tire machine to push the tire down and break it from the double rim. Then you use a steel hammer to beat on the outer split rim and break it down and away from the wheel. Once its broken loose you can push one side down and work it off the wheel.
    The dangerous part is when you put the outer rim back on and inflate the tire. You get the rim located in the right slots, and then use the inflation of the tire to push it back into space. However, if it gets mounted crooked, the outer rim may not catch the slots in the wheel, and it will go flying off at a high speed as the tire inflates. Shops used to used to put the tire in a metal cage to contain the pieces if it let loose during inflation.

Bruce

6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

You won't have one piece wheels on that vintage truck. What you will have is either 2 or 3 piece wheels. I just parted out a 69 C50 that had both types. From what I have been told the 3 piece wheels ahve been banned and nobody will mount tires on them any longer.

7. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

The purchase of a new truck requires PICTURES !!!!!!

When you get them dont forget to post them in the Picture forum !!!!:D

OH (expletive deleted)!!!!

I better start following my own advice!!!! I just realized that I bought a new truck and didnt post pics:realmad: OH well I better dig out the digital cam now that the driveway is done and I can wash the truck and make it pretty!
    My pics coming soon (even though the new plow hasn't been purchased yet, and the truck isn't set up yet);)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2003
  8. T. Matthews

pictures

I have the pictures of the truck ,but they are to big to put them on the site, any ideas how to get them to work ?

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

You need to resize them to anything under 640X640.Save them as a JPEG file,and make sure they are under 100 Kb.You may have to increase the JPEG compression to make the file smaller.Any photo\picture editing program should work.

10. T. Matthews

Here we go.

c50.jpg

11. T. Matthews

12. Terrasnow

Terrasnow Junior Member
    from NY

That truck looks so nice it's almost a shame to plow it!

13. T. Matthews

Hey ,

Sorry this truck won't be seeing any plowing.