1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1967 Snowbird "Snow Removal Machine"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by darryl g, Nov 8, 2010.

1. darryl g

darryl g Senior Member
    from CT

Hey all. I wasn't sure what section to post this under. One of my lawn maintenance customers has a 1967 Snowbird "snow removal machine" a.k.a. snowblower that he's looking to get rid of. I've seen it under his deck before and checked it out. He just picked it up last year I think. It's in pretty good shape. It's complete and runs and operates, just some faded paint. It appears to be in original condition. He says he has replaced the belt and replaced the points with an electronic igntion but it needs an air filter (mice). It doesn't look like something OSHA would much like though, lol.

The thing almost looks like a museum piece. I did a search on the web but couldn't find any info on these machines. Does anybody know anything about them? Any value to the thing? Are parts still available somewhere? I'll be out there in the next week or two for a fall cleanup and will snap some pictures.

P.S. - I did just find some info.... http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/snowvintage.html

quoted from the Snowbird info there :

"No vintage gallery would be complete without a Snowbird. They were originally built by the "George Garden Tool Division" of Community Industries in Sullivan, Il. This was a factory that had 3 divisions- (Garden tractors, Candy and clothing) George Garden Tractors started in 1946 and coined the phrase "Let George Do It". They had sluggish sales at first but then developed walk-behinds that had many optional tools. Exceptional growth followed and shortly they outgrew the building, they employed 200 people and by 1958 had introduced the Snow-bird (snowblower), Earth-bird (tiller) and Lawn-bird (riding mower) They were in business until Jan. 1967 when Yard-Man of Jackson, Michigan purchased the George Garden Tools Division from Community Ind. Yard-Man was eventually sold to Montgomery Wards in 1971 and then in 1975 to MTD Products who can provide any remaining product support."

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  2. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I think a museum is a good spot for it. Looks wildly heavy.

3. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

I remember them but don't recall who carried them. Like all snow blowers back then, the mechanical end of the blowers were fine but the engine/carborators were terrible. If you left gas in them, they gelled up and never ran right after