1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

19 dodge power ram 150 "fits"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 129, Feb 23, 2005.

1. 129

129 Junior Member

I'm writing to ask the "old timers" if they ever experienced a problem with their dodge 150's with a 318 Fuel injected engine. Two times now after I have been plowing and I have shut down the truck it will not re-start. This happens if it has been shut down for about 15-20 minutes. when I went back to start it up, it would just run very rough and quit. It turns over strong, and I can hear the fuel pump working, but it just cranks over. I used starting fluid to get it running enough to catch again. Any help! It has only happened when its about 35 degrees out. Vapor lock, frozen/blocked fuel filter? Any Help on this would be great! Thanks

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  2. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

what year is your Dodge,My 1987 would get just a bit of dampness and it wouldn't start at all.I would have to dry off the cap and then things worked fine...

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Could be water in the carb.
    First things first- dianose it as you would any other problem on any other vehicle.
    Start with electrical. Check for spark when it won't start. Since it runs you must have compression, I would expect you have air but check your air intake for anything that could be closing or blocking air flow just incase.

If you have spark and air the problem MUST be fuel so add dry gas (the black bottle not the blue), change the filters, possibly drain the lines (as best as you can) and drive it to run the drygas through the system.
    Next step would be exploreing for vapor lock, but if it only happens when it's cold- unless you're not getting airflow to the engine compartment from a plow I doubt this is a problem.
    Next step is look at the carb, dried gaskets, air leaks, cracked castings, dirt/crap in the bowl, bad float, the list goes on.
    How does it run normally when the weather is warmer Or before you shut it off? does it run rich? Lean? well or weak? all could be important clues

4. Derrick in NJ

Derrick in NJ Member

Check the ASD (auto shut down) relay, it's one of the two on the inner drivers side fender under the hood. A friend of mine had a problem with his '91 ram p/u with the same engine you have. He wheeled the hell outta that truck, and probably got too much water under the hood. His truck did the same thing you describe. Turned out there was some corrosion on the contacts, cleaned them up, and he was on his way. It was a b!t*h to find though! Good luck, hope this helps out.

5. 129

129 Junior Member

1991 Dodge power ram 150 "fits"

Thanks to all that responded. It only does this problem when it is above 35. Other then that it runs fine. Very smooth, no problems. This morning when I went to leave work - It would not start. Same problem. I think due to this mornings very cold overnight temp - (5 degrees) something froze. I went to the early morning parts store bought more dry gas and a manual. Next I will go after the fuel filter. Again thanks for the tips. I'm leaning towards a water problem. I will keep ya posted!!!! :nod:

6. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

What year is your Dodge 129??

7. 129

129 Junior Member

1991 dodge power ram 150 "fits"

I apologize to anyone who saw my first message. I made a typo on the year of my truck. It is a 1991 with a 318 fuel injection.