1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

19.5 Tires needed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BMWSTUD25, Feb 9, 2014.

1. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

After searching through all the tire threads I have seen very few details about 19.5 tires. Currently 3 of my 4 trucks run this tire size so it happens to be something I'm very interested in. I have tried the retreads that are mentioned in one thread and they did hook up great but they couldn't be rotated to the front, experienced unusual wear, and gave the truck a very weird(loose) feel until they had somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 miles on them. I've also not been overly thrilled with the stock tires. They work good when new and on all of our flat commercials but being in the Finger Lakes region of NY we have very hilly terrain and I'm just looking for something that will bite better. These trucks typically head out in the morning weighing 15,000-18,000 lbs and with good rubber I should hardly ever have to engage 4x4. Just looking for thoughts on New tires that people have used in similar situations with good success. As we all know the options aren't all that great in the 19.5 size range. Price and brand don't really matter if there are some good testimonials to back them up.

2. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

I have Goodyear G124's. I don't know if they're best but they are better than rib tires. It doesn't seem like they'll last as long. I switch out the steer tires in the summer.

3. Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel Senior Member
    from Sharon

I had an 08 f450. I did the 20" rim conversion. It gave me a much better selection since it put me in the LT tire market. Tires were cheaper also over quality commercial tires

4. NThill93

NThill93 Member

just a quick internet search showed most tires costing around $400 a piece and only about 6 different tire selections

5. tru450

tru450 Junior Member

I'm in the same boat needing steers for my 08 F450. Freaking expensive. First time purchasing 19.5 tires. I'm curious what others have to say about this as well.

6. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

yes I'm aware of how few are really out there and the cost of them. I honestly like running the 19.5 tires since my trucks actually "work" to make a living. I don't think I would want to convert them to any other tire size as having more options only works if they are the right options and I'm guessing there wouldn't be too many good 12 ply tires in a 20".

As for the $400 price tag, it is what it is and I'm okay with the price as long as I can get a decent bite into the Snow/Ice. I thought I knew exactly what I was going to put on as I have a local buddy in the Towing business with 6 trucks running 19.5's and he has been loving the Roadmaster RM 253's I believe......problem is now they are no longer making them so I feel like I'm back to square 1.

Keep the comments coming from anyone who has truly found and uses a 19.5 tire in snow/ice

7. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I think steer tires are easy....its finding a more aggressive tire for snow/ice I'm having trouble with.

8. tru450

tru450 Junior Member

Bought my truck used with brand new tires in back. They have provided great traction all winter. Aggressive tread. I'll look and see what brand they are and post it later.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Didn't they stop making these a couple years ago?

And they suck. Rubber is too hard.

Crap, can't remember what they are but the Michelins are the best I've found so far. Very spendy and not great life, but they have awesome traction.

10. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I to was looking for tires for our 450s this fall. Also wanting the roadmaster 253. Apparently China took over plane and won't let Cooper in there. Ended up with some Double Coin RLB1 drive tires. So far so good. Reasonable priced. Other truck is waiting till next fall and may try eBay. There are some on there with smaller tread blocks that look like they should grab.

11. Evil Diesel

Evil Diesel Senior Member
    from Sharon

Simpletire.com. Big selection,good prices. I would be cautious about running cheap Chinese tires. But that's just me.

12. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I have been looking to put rubber in my NPR. Going with caps on the tears and Continentals on front. ONLY summer driving and I'm concerned with wear over traction so not really a comparison. Damn expensive though!

13. Mark Oomkes

Michelin XDS2

14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

My 19.5's are scrap yard refugees from a Doritos cube van. Recaps with about 85% tread left. Two Goodyears, one Bridgestone, and another oddball... all look identical once installed. lol Paid $400 for the set of six, on rims.

If you guys are allowed studs, why not keep a winter set? Even if it's only on, say, the outers?

15. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

If I could find some good testimonials on Michelin 19.5's thats probably what I would run.

16. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Thats actually one of the tires I was looking at. Have you run them in the snow/ice or know anyone that has??

17. Mark Oomkes

Yes

And

Yes

18. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

I have the michelins xds on two of my f550's and they are nice. They have deep sips like snow tires. Way better than continentals that came with. BTW bought them at costco. They had sale, though you need to bring in rims to mount. I have dedicated rims for snow and over road. They were by far way cheaper than tire shops.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  19. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Thanks for the review!

20. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

I used to run the expensive Goodyears for quite a few years.....and I got no better traction or longevity out of them than the Chinese tires I currently switched over to when the Goodyears went up to $2600 for a set of six, mounted and balanced.